Page 106 of 115 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1141

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Me again, I do have some other problems with my Wacom P&T:

The touch mode is not very precise. Whenever I stop moving my finger on the touch surface, the mouse cursor seems to move a bit further. The simple touchpad of my laptop on the other hand is absolutely precise.

Are there some settings I can play with to change this? I tried the sample rate but that only seems to affect smoothness.

Also gesture support is very bad. It works, but it is not really usable. Scrolling does not start immediately, but has some kind of delay. But once the pad is in scroll-mode, scrolling reacts immediately. Last but not least, zooming is pretty much unusable as the two fingers have to be exactly parallel on the X axis. Again, are there any settings I can play with?

Does touch and gesture support work properly on Windows or is this a limitation of the tablet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes, the attached script shows you some parameters you can adjust. Also see man xsetwacom and man wacom. You can also change some xinput parameters, see part VI. on the HOW TO.

Also Chris does suggest you could try placing touch on the Synaptic driver. That will affect your pad buttons though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    You can also change some xinput parameters, see part VI. on the HOW TO.
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for. With some experimenting I got my pointer into a usable state. However I have some remarks for your Howto:

You should point out the importance of the "AccelerationProfile" parameter. It changes the basic algorithm and therefore affects all the other parameters. Depending on which mode you use (relative or absolute) a different profile might be necessary. I'm using the relative mode and in my opinion there is only one profile which makes the touch pad in relative mode usable: Profile 2 (polynomial)

The reason is simple: What I want is a mouse pointer which comes up to speed very fast, but as soon as you reach your target and you slow down movement, it has to become very precise. Only a polynomial function can accomplish this properly. From the freedesktop.org page you linked in your howto, it seems the polynomial function is calculated something like that:

VelocityScale * velocity * x ^ (acceleration/ConstantDeceleration)

To get a high precision when moving the mouse slowly, you obviously have to increase the ConstantDeceleration paramter, as the touch pad is far more accurate than a normal mouse.

To get up to speed quickly, you need a high VelocityScale value. However, due to the high precision of the touch pad, I actually had to decrease the default value. So here is what I came up with:

"Device Accel Profile" 2
    "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 2.2
    "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 7.5
    "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 2.0

I'm not sure if the "Adaptive Deceleration" does anything at all when using profile 2. However I got the impression that it somehow smoothens the cursor movement. I left it at 1.0 most of the time and started fine-tuning it after I had "Constant Deceleration" and "Velocity Scaling" right. Still I'm not sure if there really is a difference between 1.0 and 2.0 - might be my imagination.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Temar09,

Thank you for your feedback. You are one of the few who have given me any on the xinput parameters for touch.
    Still I'm not sure if there really is a difference between 1.0 and 2.0 - might be my imagination.
    lol Exactly the problem I ran into after looking at many values. Additionally the gesture code, and behavior, changed several times since I originally posted the info. about the Device Accel parameters. Making it tough to decide which version was most in use and to post for.

I would very much like to update the HOW TO with your contribution however the forum changed policy in late June. We are no longer allowed to edit posts more than 7 days old. This has the effect of locking all tutorial and HOW TO authors out of the their HOW TO's and tutorials. That was decided at a March 27, 2012 Forum Council meeting. I first found out when I was unable to do a new round of updates on my HOW TOs in early July.

So there are a bunch of updates that haven't been applied. That's why the update for compiling xf86-input-wacom in Precise is in post #1034 rather than on the HOW TO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    I would very much like to update the HOW TO with your contribution however the forum changed policy in late June. We are no longer allowed to edit posts more than 7 days old. This has the effect of locking all tutorial and HOW TO authors out of the their HOW TO's and tutorials. That was decided at a March 27, 2012 Forum Council meeting. I first found out when I was unable to do a new round of updates on my HOW TOs in early July.
    This is really bad. I googled about that new policy and found your post in the Feedback & Help forum. Seems like they won't revert the new policy and force everyone to use the Wiki.

Will you make the transition to the wiki or will you just continue to use the forum?

Beans
    Distro

I'm still mulling it over. Currently I'm not inclined to go to the wiki under the fait accompli we've been presented with. Also please do not discuss the edit issue any more on this thread. It is off topic and I do not want this thread locked.

Beans

I created a PPA (Ubuntu 12.04 only) which contains newer versions of the wacom drivers and tools:

* xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.16.0
    * libwacom 0.6
    * kde-config-tablet 1.3.6

https://launchpad.net/~maret/+archive/wacom

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the PPA Temar09. Looks very good and I'm sure a lot of folks will find it useful. I'll probably give it a whirl in my Kubuntu install.

Beans

Greetings.

I tried to follow your instructions for installing a new 3rd Gen. Bamboo Pen&Touch (CTH-470/S).
    Unfortunately, I'm not using Ubuntu, but Debian Squeeze, and furthermore I'm actually quite new to Linux. I tried anyway, because it seemed to be very similar, and honestly, your instructions were the most handy ones.

Just in case, the versions:
    Kernel 2.6.32-5-686
    X Server 1.7.7

lsusb gives

Code:
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 056a:00de Wacom Co., Ltd
    I have made the input-wacom with the backport-patch you provided and it seemed to work fine.
    “lsmod | grep wacom” returns

Code:
    wacom                  23273  0 
    usbcore                99426  6 wacom,usbhid,usb_storage,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
    But if I try to make xf86-input-wacom, I get an error:

Code:
    root@coffeeofdoom:/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom# make
    make  all-recursive
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom'
    Making all in conf
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/conf'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/conf'
    Making all in doc
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/doc'
    make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/doc'
    Making all in src
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/src'
      CC     xf86Wacom.lo
    In file included from ../src/xf86Wacom.h:95,
                     from ../src/xf86Wacom.c:46:
    ../src/xf86WacomDefs.h:501: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘ValuatorMask’
    make[2]: *** [xf86Wacom.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Honestly, I have no idea how to resolve that.
    I hope you can somehow help me, because I would really like to use this tablet under Linux.

Thank you in advance,
    mion

Beans
    Distro

Hi mion,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Kernel 2.6.32-5-686
    X Server 1.7.7
    Is that Lenny?

Just to let you know the forum changed policy at the end of June so we can't update tutorials anymore and it is getting a bit dated.
    Current releases are:
    input-wacom-0.14.0
    xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0

The input-wacom-0.14.0 contains the patch so if you use it you no longer need to apply it. Here's an up to date BambooPT HOW TO.

The make error is new to me.
    Code:
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/src'
      CC     xf86Wacom.lo
    In file included from ../src/xf86Wacom.h:95,
                     from ../src/xf86Wacom.c:46:
    ../src/xf86WacomDefs.h:501: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘ValuatorMask’
    make[2]: *** [xf86Wacom.lo] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/a/Desktop/xf86-input-wacom'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    The error is a compiler one. It is complaining about a header so the compiler may be looping on something in xf86Wacom.h.

What version of gcc do you have? When you installed the build stuff and libraries were there errors or complaints? What version of xf86-input-wacom did you compile?

The easiest thing would be to try 0.17.0 and see if the issue is still there.

Page 106 of 115 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast