Page 105 of 115 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1141

Thread: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up the Bamboo Pen & Touch in Lucid

Hi Temar09,

So xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0, or the Ubuntu version of it anyway.

There might be a PPA for xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0 somewhere. But for Jason's latest stuff you would have to clone the git repository. To do that you can follow the instructions on the HOW TO. Be sure to apply the patch in post #1034 above before compiling.

Before you try that you should look at "Troubleshooting" towards the bottom of the HOW TO. The part about ruling out two xsetwacom binaries. Version conflicts between different xsetwacom versions can cause symptoms like you are describing. But if you haven't tried to install another xf86-input-wacom either through a PPA or by compiling it that shouldn't be the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    So xf86-input-wacom-0.14.0, or the Ubuntu version of it anyway.
    The one from the Ubuntu repository:

Code:
    $ dpkg -l '*wacom*' | grep ii
    ii  xserver-xorg-input-wacom  1:0.14.0-0ubuntu2  X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver

$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    xserver-xorg-input-wacom:
      Installed: 1:0.14.0-0ubuntu2
      Candidate: 1:0.14.0-0ubuntu2
      Version table:
     *** 1:0.14.0-0ubuntu2 0
            500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    There might be a PPA for xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0 somewhere. But for Jason's latest stuff you would have to clone the git repository. To do that you can follow the instructions on the HOW TO. Be sure to apply the patch in post #1034 above before compiling.
    Ok, thank you. I will have a look at that Howto.

Before you try that you should look at "Troubleshooting" towards the bottom of the HOW TO. The part about ruling out two xsetwacom binaries. Version conflicts between different xsetwacom versions can cause symptoms like you are describing. But if you haven't tried to install another xf86-input-wacom either through a PPA or by compiling it that shouldn't be the problem.
    No, I didn't install anything else than the Ubuntu default drivers. I really hope I can get this running. The tablet works great but the shortcut issue is really annoying.

Beans

Still no luck.

I created an Ubuntu package for xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0 but still the same problem.

I then created an Ubuntu package directly from GIT with the lastest commit being 8dcf5ee466cfb14490fa52c8af8a4cbac92036f7 from 2012-07-25 17:39:49 but even with this version I can not map F13 to a pad button.

Are you absolutely sure that you can map F13 to one of your pad buttons? My first post in this thread was wrong because I wrote I could not bind F12 to a button, but F12 works. Only buttons > F12 do not work.

So can you please do me a favor and check again that you are able to bind F13 to a pad button?

Beans
    Distro

I don't know the answer to that for sure. But I did check if xsetwacom had a F13 etc. Go to your unpacked xf86-input-wacom source code folder. In the tools directory you will see xsetwacom.c. In that file it has this function:
    Code:
    static struct modifier specialkeys[] = {
    	{"f1", "F1"}, {"f2", "F2"}, {"f3", "F3"},
    	{"f4", "F4"}, {"f5", "F5"}, {"f6", "F6"},
    	{"f7", "F7"}, {"f8", "F8"}, {"f9", "F9"},
    	{"f10", "F10"}, {"f11", "F11"}, {"f12", "F12"},
    	{"f13", "F13"}, {"f14", "F14"}, {"f15", "F15"},
    	{"f16", "F16"}, {"f17", "F17"}, {"f18", "F18"},
    	{"f19", "F19"}, {"f20", "F20"}, {"f21", "F21"},
    	{"f22", "F22"}, {"f23", "F23"}, {"f24", "F24"},
    	{"f25", "F25"}, {"f26", "F26"}, {"f27", "F27"},
    	{"f28", "F28"}, {"f29", "F29"}, {"f30", "F30"},
    	{"f31", "F31"}, {"f32", "F32"}, {"f33", "F33"},
    	{"f34", "F34"}, {"f35", "F35"},

{"esc", "Escape"}, {"Esc", "Escape"},

{"up", "Up"}, {"down", "Down"},
    	{"left", "Left"}, {"right", "Right"},

{"backspace", "BackSpace"}, {"Backspace", "BackSpace"},

{"tab", "Tab"},

{"PgUp", "Prior"}, {"PgDn", "Next"},

{ NULL, NULL }
    };
    right below the other modifiers function. I added the backspace and maybe one other. Too long ago to remember.

So the compile of the git clone went OK with the frankenserver patch? Are you able to use the physical button numbers now?

Beans

I don't know the answer to that for sure. But I did check if xsetwacom had a F13 etc.
    Yes, it's defined but it does not work.

However I fixed it for my Windows-Key. I still can not map non-existant keys like F13 to my pad-buttons, but at least I can use shortcuts which make use of the Windows-Key, like 'key super t'.

I wrote a patch which changes the way X11 key symbols are converted to keyboard scan codes:

Code:
    diff -Naur xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0git20120725173949.orig/tools/xsetwacom.c xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0git20120725173949/tools/xsetwacom.c
    --- xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0git20120725173949.orig/tools/xsetwacom.c     2012-08-08 19:59:48.511909319 +0200
    +++ xf86-input-wacom-0.16.0git20120725173949/tools/xsetwacom.c  2012-08-08 21:54:11.439664914 +0200
    @@ -1001,28 +1001,7 @@
     */
     static int keysym_to_keycode(Display *dpy, KeySym sym)
     {
    -       static XkbDescPtr xkb = NULL;
    -       XkbStateRec state;
    -       int kc = 0;
    -
    -
    -       if (!xkb)
    -               xkb = XkbGetKeyboard(dpy, XkbAllComponentsMask, XkbUseCoreKbd);
    -       XkbGetState(dpy, XkbUseCoreKbd, &state);
    -
    -       for (kc = xkb->min_key_code; kc <= xkb->max_key_code; kc++)
    -       {
    -               KeySym* ks;
    -               int i;
    -
    -               ks = XkbKeySymsPtr(xkb, kc);
    -               for (i = 0; i < XkbKeyGroupWidth(xkb, kc, state.group); i++)
    -                       if (ks[i] == sym)
    -                               goto out;
    -       }
    -
    -out:
    -       return kc;
    +       return XKeysymToKeycode(dpy, sym);
     }
     /*
        Map gibberish like "ctrl alt f2" into the matching AC_KEY values.
    I don't know why the previous code was so complex, but the native key-symbol to key-code conversion function which is provided by X11 works much better for me. The old code was not able to resolve the scan code for my windows-key.

From the manpage of XKeysymToKeycode it seems an X11 symbol does not need to have a key code associated with it. I think that's the reason I can not map F13, because my keyboard does not have a F13 key and therefore there is no scan code associated with this X11 symbol. I will have to look for a command line tool which lets me map an arbitary scan code to any X11 symbol. I'm sure there is something out there.

So the compile of the git clone went OK with the frankenserver patch?
    Yes, however I used the default Ubuntu package (which does contain the frankenserver patch) as a baseline and just removed the other unnecessary patches and updated debian/changelog.

Are you able to use the physical button numbers now?
    I'm still not sure what you mean.

Beans
    Distro

lol I should be the one asking you questions.

You want to talk to one of the developers. I urge you to submit your patch to linuxwacom-devel and that should get you some feedback more at your level.
    From the manpage of XKeysymToKeycode it seems an X11 symbol does not need to have a key code associated with it. I think that's the reason I can not map F13, because my keyboard does not have a F13 key and therefore there is no scan code associated with this X11 symbol. I will have to look for a command line tool which lets me map an arbitary scan code to any X11 symbol. I'm sure there is something out there.
    If you find one let me know. I mention a few in appendix 2 in the http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830. That appendix and some other spots on the Rotation HOW TO have most of what I know about key mapping. Confused, incomplete and so misleading as it may be.

With a BambooPT in right handed orientation counting from the top there are buttons 1,2,3,4. Does X, mapping through xsetwacom from the cloned compile, now see them as 1,2,3,4 also? Or still 3,8,9,1?

Beans

You want to talk to one of the developers. I urge you to submit your patch to linuxwacom-devel and that should get you some feedback more at your level.
    I added a bug report: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...96&atid=525124

If you find one let me know. I mention a few in appendix 2 in the http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830. That appendix and some other spots on the Rotation HOW TO have most of what I know about key mapping. Confused, incomplete and so misleading as it may be.
    Ok, thank you. I will have a look at it and let you know if I find a way to map key codes.

With a BambooPT in right handed orientation counting from the top there are buttons 1,2,3,4. Does X, mapping through xsetwacom from the cloned compile, now see them as 1,2,3,4 also? Or still 3,8,9,1?
    It's still 1,9,8,3. Maybe I need to update the kernel module as well to get the new button mapping. I didn't try that as my pad works quite well with the driver provided by Ubuntu.

Beans

If you find one let me know. I mention a few in appendix 2.
    Thanks, that was very helpful. As described in your HOWTO, you can bind any keycode to an X11 symbol by using xmodmap.

Code:
    $ xmodmap -e 'keycode 255 = F20'
    $ xmodmap -pke | grep F20
    keycode 255 = F20 NoSymbol F20
    $ xsetwacom set $DEV Button 1 'key F20'
    $ xsetwacom get $DEV Button 1
    key +F20 -F20
    So it works! Now I can bind these F-keys to any program using KDE and change my wacom-configuration by pressing a button on the pad.

Thanks for your help! Your HOWTO was most helpful!

Beans
    Distro

Good! Thanks for posting the example.

And thank you for posting the patch on the Linux Wacom Project's bug tracker. Just to let you know response there will probably be much slower than if you had posted on linuxwacom-devel.

Beans

Just to let you know response there will probably be much slower than if you had posted on linuxwacom-devel.
    That's no problem, my patch is probably wrong anyway. It was just the most straight forward way to achieve what I wanted. Still, I'm sure there is a reason why they did not simply use the default keycode-to-symbol converter function. There are probably some other use cases which do no longer work with my patch.

At least the developers now know, that there is a problem with their current keycode lookup function.

Page 105 of 115 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast