Thread: Change Permissions on Read-only filesystems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Change Permissions on Read-only filesystems

Generally, I LOVE Ubuntu 10.04...best Ubuntu yet, IMO. But there's this one thing about it that really bugs me, and that is that all executable files on CD/DVD are set with very restricted permissions, including the 'Allow executing file as program' checkbox being left blank. Since CD/DVD's are read-only, I can't change these permissions the normal way or even just execute the files as root!

So far I've been able to get by with just copying the disk's contents to the hard drive and then running the program with altered permissions from there, but right now I want to install Unreal Tournament 2004 (the DVD version, if that makes any difference) and its Linux installer will not function properly from a local directory, so I'm stuck on this one.

Surely there's some way to alter the permissions for a read-only filesystem! Can't I just set system-wide permissions that would even apply to CD's and DVD's?
    --
    Luke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Change Permissions on Read-only filesystems

Perhaps remounting the cd/dvd with the exec option enabled

Code:
    mount /dev/<cdromdevice> -o remount,exec
    nvm I'm slightly retarded, ignore me

maybe with these options

Code:
    mount /dev/<cdromdevice> -o remount,umask=000,exec
    Last edited by jerome1232; June 22nd, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LukeLinux View Post
    Since CD/DVD's are read-only, I can't change these permissions the normal way or even just execute the files as root!
    What is the "normal" way for you? I would:
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom
    chmod 700 setup
    ./setup
    Where cd-rom is the name of your dvd drive and setup is the name of the setup file (may be in deeper directory).
    I'll take you out for a meal with Mr and Mrs. Pain. Order up some violent quiche.

Beans

This is the result of the new security bit policy and not having fstab entries for optical drives by default in lucid.
    (or having default permissions on removable media be set to 'exec'

The policy itself has practically no value, in almost all cases people intend to execute the file, setting up a roadblock with no detour is worthless
    (and 100% of the time people intend to execute an .exe from cd/dvd media

see here for wine fix and fstab suggestion (adjust if not /dev/sr0), if just in general, not wine, then I'd go ahead and create an fstab entry and static mountpoint.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1514122

screen shows how with an fstab entry for your drive an .exe is executable
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When Lucid auto-opens an .exe file (or if you right-click and choose "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader"), it doesn't call wine, but instead an annoying utility called "cautious-launcher" that prevents executing stuff from CD/DVD.

So, what you can do is: right-click the .exe file, and choose Open with Other Application-->Use a Custom Command". Then type: wine
    When right-clicking the .exe file again, there should now be an option to open it with wine (the proper one). You can even set this in stone, by choosing Properties-->Open With and ticking the wine option. (This is the least safe way of doing things though.)

Note that it has a lot of advantages to call wine directly from a terminal instead. Good luck.
    "Let your roots dig deep into the hot soil... Let our scorching sun and sheeting rain turn your supple beauty into strength. For if our love is to survive, it must grow thorns to pierce the hand of any that would uproot it!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

THANK YOU, Happyhamster, that last bit did the trick! I never would have thought to open the program with the 'wine' command since it looked like that's what it's already doing...but it's all good now; I can launch EXE's from CD's no problem!

Thread solved!
    --
    Luke