Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes after booting

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 freezes after booting

I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 since it was released. Over the last couple of days, I installed a number of applications recommended by different websites, and seem to have corrupted the system somehow.

Now, whenever, I boot into Ubuntu, the boot sequences proceeds normally until the desktop appears, after which the screen freezes and I am unable to click on anything (although the mouse cursor moves about all right). At this point, on the screen, I have the applet for my recently installed 'Gnome Do' application, and the dialogue box asking for the 'login keyring'. Since the latter used to appear earlier also, i presume that the problem might be related to Gnome Do.

However, since I am absolutely unable to do anything from this point on (can't click on menus, etc), I don't know how to uninstall Gnome Do. I inevitably have to press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to Terminal, and then do a sudo-reboot. Thankfully, I do have a dual-boot Windows XP on the same machine, from where I am posting this.

Can anyone help me get back into my Ubuntu? Right now, it has become completely unusable. Needless to say, I am quite a noob at this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 freezes after booting

How would we help you when you are giving really no details, what did you install and from where before this problem started. Is this a install from a live windows enviroment=wubi.

Beans

Hi Wilee-Nilee! Sorry for being too summary earlier. I had installed the software packages from the Synaptic Package Manager within Ubuntu. From what I recall, I installed a program called 'dock' or 'docky' which gives a Mac like dock on the desktop to start applications. I also installed Adobe Reader for linux, and this 'Gnome Do' application. All of them were installed from within Ubuntu, not from a 'windows live environment'.

Basically, I just want to be able to some sort of a 'system restore' on ubuntu to a couple of days earlier, if possible. But since the screen hangs after rebooting, I am unable to do anything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dsfsp View Post
    Hi Wilee-Nilee! Sorry for being too summary earlier. I had installed the software packages from the Synaptic Package Manager within Ubuntu. From what I recall, I installed a program called 'dock' or 'docky' which gives a Mac like dock on the desktop to start applications. I also installed Adobe Reader for linux, and this 'Gnome Do' application. All of them were installed from within Ubuntu, not from a 'windows live environment'.

Basically, I just want to be able to some sort of a 'system restore' on ubuntu to a couple of days earlier, if possible. But since the screen hangs after rebooting, I am unable to do anything.
    What I mean from a live windows environment is this a wubi install, did you install Ubuntu from a live widows setup.

Many people use the term dual boot and this throws off others when a wubi install is a pseudo dual boot, it just helps to know whats up. If you can get to the recovery section of grub 2nd line you can get to a command terminal and just run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-do
    It might be the docky setup who knows.

What is your computer model?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    What I mean from a live windows environment is this a wubi install, did you install Ubuntu from a live widows setup.

Many people use the term dual boot and this throws off others when a wubi install is a pseudo dual boot, it just helps to know whats up. If you can get to the recovery section of grub 2nd line you can get to a command terminal and just run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-do
    It might be the docky setup who knows.

What is your computer model?

Hey thanks! I was able to get rid of Gnome-Do with that terminal command you provided. [I am quite lost on Command Line interfaces, so didn't realise that one could get uninstall a program so easily!] Everything seems to be back to normal now. Many thanks!!!

Reg the 'live windows' thing, I have actually had Ubuntu on this system for nearly a year. I had initially installed it using a Live CD, but going for a full install instead of running it off a CD. Later, I just upgraded it to version 10.04 from within Ubuntu.

Not sure what a wubi install is, but by 'double boot' I meant the sort of system I have, where the GRUB menu gives me the option of either booting into Ubuntu or Windows while starting the machine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dsfsp View Post
    Hey thanks! I was able to get rid of Gnome-Do with that terminal command you provided. [I am quite lost on Command Line interfaces, so didn't realise that one could get uninstall a program so easily!] Everything seems to be back to normal now. Many thanks!!!

Reg the 'live windows' thing, I have actually had Ubuntu on this system for nearly a year. I had initially installed it using a Live CD, but going for a full install instead of running it off a CD. Later, I just upgraded it to version 10.04 from within Ubuntu.

Not sure what a wubi install is, but by 'double boot' I meant the sort of system I have, where the GRUB menu gives me the option of either booting into Ubuntu or Windows while starting the machine.
    gnome-do was the problem then, glad you got it removed, and your up and running.