Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop ubuntu asking me for the CD when downloading apps.?

Beans

How do I stop ubuntu asking me for the CD when downloading apps.?

Hi.

I've just recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, which doesn't have a CD player. On my attempting to download new apps., however, the system asks me to insert the ubuntu CD into the disk drive. How do I disable this prompt so that I may download the aps from the internet instead of from the CD? I should prefer to solve the problem using the visual interface, and without altering the source code.

Thanks!

Rob

Beans

How do I stop ubuntu asking me for the CD when downloading apps.?

Hi.

I've just recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop, which doesn't have a CD player. On my attempting to download new apps., however, the system asks me to insert the ubuntu CD into the disk drive. How do I disable this prompt so that I may download the aps from the internet instead of from the CD? I should prefer to solve the problem using the visual interface, and without altering the source code.

Thanks!

Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I stop ubuntu asking me for the CD when downloading apps.?

Go to system-admin software sources and tick the from cd off in the first tab.

Beans

I ticked the box in the first tab under 'Installable from the CD-ROM/DVD'. But on closing the window the system said the information about available software was out-of-date and had to be reloaded. I clicked 'Reload'. Then an error came up saying the repository could not be downloaded owing to nework problems. I am at a library. I wonder if the wifi here won't let me download the repository, or something else is the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Buckmaster View Post
    I ticked the box in the first tab under 'Installable from the CD-ROM/DVD'. But on closing the window the system said the information about available software was out-of-date and had to be reloaded. I clicked 'Reload'. Then an error came up saying the repository could not be downloaded owing to nework problems. I am at a library. I wonder if the wifi here won't let me download the repository, or something else is the problem.
    Hmm hard to say can you post the list from the terminal.
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    I'm just trying to make sure your download list is correct, this wont fix a network problem though, unless its got some problems.

You can also from that software sources page 1st tab try the other drop-down and select best server and see if it is a server problem.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; June 22nd, 2010 at 08:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Click Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Type in:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    If the first line reads:
    Code:
    deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release amd64 (20100429)]/ lucid m
    Put a # in front of deb on that line:
    Code:
    # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.04 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release amd64 (20100429)]/ lucid m
    Save exit, then run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    To refresh the packages/repositories.
    Last edited by slooksterpsv; June 22nd, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Buckmaster View Post
    Hi.

Thanks!

Rob
    System > Administration > Software Sources and un-tick the CD as a source.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Click Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Type in:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    @slooksterpsv, could you consider altering "sudo" to "gksudo" as gedit is a graphical application, see link #4 in my sig, scroll down the page to the "Graphical Sudo" section for a full explanation. Cheers Yetiman64.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by yetiman64 View Post
    @slooksterpsv, could you consider altering "sudo" to "gksudo" as gedit is a graphical application, see link #4 in my sig, scroll down the page to the "Graphical Sudo" section for a full explanation. Cheers Yetiman64.
    Thank you, I did not know about gksudo, I'll have to start using that now. SUDO with some graphical apps have worked for me, like gedit, but others haven't, so that's why.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans

Problem solved, I think. There was a box for 'cdrom...' under the tab Other Software, which I unchecked.I managed to download one application without the annoying prompt preventing me. I presume the others won't ask me for the CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast