Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better audio quality in Ubuntu v. Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Better audio quality in Ubuntu v. Windows

I've noticed that my sound quality on Ubuntu 10.04 is a lot clearer then on Windows 7. Both are installed on the same computer. Does anyone know why?

This is using Sennheiser HD 428 headphones and the audio jack on Asus M4N78 Pro motherboard.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Better audio quality in Ubuntu v. Windows

Isn't everything better in Ubuntu?
    That's what she said.

Beans

could be lots of reasons
    probably the Linux driver for your audio chipset is better than the windows driver

but it could also be windows7 that's at fault (never used it so no idea if this is accurate, but I hear it uses software emulation to do sound processing, rather than utilising the hardware)

but it's probably the audio driver that's the reason

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Much different for me. Ubuntu audio drivers can't compare to my Win7 drivers for my HTPC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Much different for me. Ubuntu audio drivers can't compare to my Win7 drivers for my HTPC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought it may be a driver difference also. I was just so thrown off guard at the difference in audio quality, literally like night and day. I mean even on Windows I used Winamp and fully customized the equalizer, and I thought that sounded great. Still Ubuntu trumps, the clarity is just so much better. Any idea on how much better will it get with a dedicated sound card? I listen to a ton of music. I was looking at the Creative's anyone have any input or sound card recommendation?

Beans

Perhaps it is because your computer ran slower on Windows. If Ubuntu is faster for you, then the audio/video is faster and has less interruptions (this was not the case for me, but only because I had not upgraded my Nvidia driver, I recently upgraded to 195 and I am impressed by how smooth audio/video runs now.

I would tell people to install Ubuntu using a dual partition, instead of overwriting Windows. Based on my own experience, that's a bad idea, because while I appreciated how much faster the OS ran, I was unable to get my microphone and webcam working. I have only recently set on trying to get that fixed, but it is time-consuming and annoying to try and dig through the Internet for answers. My webcam can take pictures, just not video anymore. When I installed the ALSA upgrades, the microphone started to work. I just have the webcam video to fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    OT, I know
    but try turning the master volume down (don't go above 80%)
    I've seen issues with clipped audio on some chipsets when the master channel is too high

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm in the same boat as kamaboko sound in ubuntu just well doesn't sound right. Using vlc I can mess with the equalizer to the point where it is close but there are still distortions on just about all the bands avalable to tweak in vlc. I have also tried going through alsamixer with no luck.

Also if I could figure out how to get the dang login volume to stop defaulting to 100% that would be nice too.
    Desktop: Home Built Core i7 - Ubuntu/Windows
    Netbook: Asus Eeepc 900HA - Arch w/ Openbox
    Laptop:2010 Macbook Pro 13 - Mac osx w/ Ubuntu/Fedora Virtual Machines
    Tablet:Asus Transformer 32gb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me my audio and general graphics performance are better, 3d and flash are way behind though, though I have to admit it's been almost a year since I ran Windows

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast