Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Better audio quality in Ubuntu v. Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Better audio quality in Ubuntu v. Windows

Quote Originally Posted by DustWolf View Post
    Classic integrated Realtek chipset sound here with dual boot. The same music on the same speakers sounds awesome in Linux (Rythmbox) and has no bass in Windows (Winamp). Using the winamp equalizer only makes the rest of the music muffled when there is bass. Using bass management functions in soundcard program in Windows does nothing.
    Awesome is relative, anything less than a ASUS Xonar Essence STX with say a Audioengine 5's or a Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is not very awesome. I can compare because I plugged my brothers new speakers into a realtek sound card and was horrified at the sound, had to get a new sound card asap.

With that in mind the STX's sound on linux is very very awesome.
    Last edited by ikt; November 8th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
    // Blog

Beans

Woah, this thread has been bumped several times!
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans

And its going to be bumped again...

i also find the sound quality to be massively improved with Ubuntu, same pc, same 7.1 home cinema, i always choose to listen to music through Ubuntu. am looking for a dedicated sound card though, am looking at this the Asus Xonar Essence ST. and i cant wait to try this out...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know that this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd chime in here.
    I too noticed that Ubuntu sound quality was way better than windows 7.
    Then I installed sharks codec pack on Win7 from here:
    http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
    And the sound quality improved considerably, particularly on WMP, but you do have to tweak it a lot.

Beans

Cool Re: Better audio quality in Ubuntu v. Windows

Quote Originally Posted by speartip View Post
    I know that this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd chime in here.
    I too noticed that Ubuntu sound quality was way better than windows 7.
    Then I installed sharks codec pack on Win7 from here:
    http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
    And the sound quality improved considerably, particularly on WMP, but you do have to tweak it a lot.
    I use ubuntu on one machine and openSUSE (with KDE)on another and the sound quality just ROCKS when compared to windows without any tweaking at all. Windows doesn't even come close. I am using external professional studio interfaces and have owned my own commercially run studio for years.
    I can't understand WHY there is a difference. On windows I use either ASIO or WASAPI exclusive drivers driving a pro audio interface, on linux I use ALSA drivers direct or JACK. Only on an apple computer can I get the same quality.
    What in hell is windows doing to the audio? The scale, presence, detail and other ambient qualities are so much behind when using even the best software on Windows 7.
    I cannot explain this because theoretically there should not be this audible difference. For Windows or Linux I use the same machines.
    Lots of people complain about the effort of setting the audio up on Linux, but in my experience it wasn't a problem. Things are just different and desktops don't always support pro audio in the first instance, so there is always a little configuration to do; but only a little. On Windows I am always messing around trying to get what I want, spending much more time at it and not getting the desired results. Even asio runs better through Wine....... 'nuff said!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try the codecs in the link I provided, it improves Windows 7 sound quality considerably.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234