Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ipod/tunes headache!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ipod/tunes headache!

I solved my problems with iPod. I had to compile my own kernel disabling EFI Partition support (it has been enabled since 2.6.15-8.10 kernel: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu....15/+bug/26186).

After that, my iPod mini works perfectly again.

So, if you have problems with your iPod not mounting, or mounting but failing to work when you try to read or write to it, this is worth a try.

While searching for possible solutions to my problems with iPod I found many pages mentioning kernel a kernel patch that allows both iPod and EFI support at the same time. I suppose people responsible for Ubuntu kernel either forgot that patch or don't even know about it

I'll file a bug report about this in lauchpad, and hopefully iPods will work again in the final Dapper release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by nalmeth
    Awesome thanks for clearing all that up. I like how the firmware deals with all that automatically, there's no way to know what its going to do at first sight.
    Sorry to blaspheme, I know how hardcore people can get about their teams.
    Is Stephen Gionta by chance related to Brian Gionta for the Devils?
    You're heartbroken huh? I'm a Flames fan, and still devastated after all this time. I know college hockey is huge down south, and it's a different game, but hockey fans are hockey fans.
    BTW Hope you're not a Bruin's fan this year. WOW
    Anyways, like you said, hockey discussion will go on forever.
    Thanks for your time and help
    Stephen is Brian's younger brother. Brian graduated from BC last year. Stephen's a bit smaller, but he's got a better shot and he's much quicker. Kind of scary, if you think about it.

And yes, I am a Bruins fan. I will leave it at that, and you can draw your own conclusions about my mental state.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck
    I solved my problems with iPod. I had to compile my own kernel disabling EFI Partition support (it has been enabled since 2.6.15-8.10 kernel: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...15/+bug/26186).

After that, my iPod mini works perfectly again.

So, if you have problems with your iPod not mounting, or mounting but failing to work when you try to read or write to it, this is worth a try.

While searching for possible solutions to my problems with iPod I found many pages mentioning kernel a kernel patch that allows both iPod and EFI support at the same time. I suppose people responsible for Ubuntu kernel either forgot that patch or don't even know about it

I'll file a bug report about this in lauchpad, and hopefully iPods will work again in the final Dapper release.
    It appears that there's a fix in the repositories for it, now, so we shouldn't have to worry about the format of the iPod. I suppose I was lucky enough to not have to deal with this, as my compy is the only one my iPod has ever touched. It worked as soon as I plugged it in (brand new) to it...so woohoo!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by endersshadow
    It appears that there's a fix in the repositories for it, now, so we shouldn't have to worry about the format of the iPod. I suppose I was lucky enough to not have to deal with this, as my compy is the only one my iPod has ever touched. It worked as soon as I plugged it in (brand new) to it...so woohoo!
    Fix for what? Dapper's Kernel? Updates to gtkpod won't fix my problem.

My iPod Mini mounted perfectly, and unmounted perfectly, and everything worked just fine as long as I didn't try to actually read or write to it.. That caused it to lock and corrupted all data on the iPod.

That's because iPods (at least some versions) report their size to be a bit bigger than what it really is (thanks Apple, great job), and that was not a problem until EFI support was enabled in Ubuntu kernels. And so my iPod worked with no problems in Hoary and Breezy. But now the kernel tries to check the last sectors of the iPod to see if it's a EFI partition, only that those sectors don't even exist And that's when all the I/O errors start..

take a look at this: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...15#post1197015

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck
    Fix for what? Dapper's Kernel? Updates to gtkpod won't fix my problem.

My iPod Mini mounted perfectly, and unmounted perfectly, and everything worked just fine as long as I didn't try to actually read or write to it.. That caused it to lock and corrupted all data on the iPod.

That's because iPods (at least some versions) report their size to be a bit bigger than what it really is (thanks Apple, great job), and that was not a problem until EFI support was enabled in Ubuntu kernels. And so my iPod worked with no problems in Hoary and Breezy. But now the kernel tries to check the last sectors of the iPod to see if it's a EFI partition, only that those sectors don't even exist And that's when all the I/O errors start..

take a look at this: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...15#post1197015
    Oh, okay, I misunderstood your problem. I see that now...wow...that's, um, wow. Way to go, Apple!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've managed to figure out how to change it so gtkpod opens up when you plug in the iPod. In the Removable Storage and Media settings (in System>Preferences), go to the multimedia tab, check the Sync files and then in the command line, put gtkpod, so it looks like this:

Also, to make it mount correctly each and every time, do this (w/o iPod connected):

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/ipod
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Then, add this line at the bottom:

Code:
    /dev/sdc2	/media/ipod	vfat	defaults	0	0
    Save it and then you're all set to go

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

which menu would i have to choose in kde?
    i checked the systems etc. but ipod as option doesn't seem to appear there..
    -well one has to figure out (right?) which device, for me eg.. it is /dev/sda2, if sth else is plugged /dev/sdb2 etc.
    as i also have linux on the ipod nano (for the films) it opens /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 (linux partition 32 MB) the latter can be ignored i think.
    Last edited by joey111; March 29th, 2006 at 11:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

i did a complete new install following the instructions above and still the first thing it says is: did not import the existing db..
    first i thought its because maybe the gtkpod (and its automatic umount/mount mechanism is not in the sudoers list- how could i add it there?)
    but it also appears when I do that manually- the mounting.
    I am exhausted.. its never gonna work i guess..I cannot read from the Ipod once i plug it.The button stays monochrome and the error message appears
    But when i do Check ipod's Files it imports the files (corrupting all playlist and covers, and it last everytime 5 mins).
    The error message I would have to ignore in this case is:
    You did not import the existing iTunesDB. This is most likely incorrect and will result in the loss of the existing database.

Press 'OK' if you want to proceed anyhow or 'Cancel' to abort. If you cancel, you can import the existing database before calling this function again.

please any idea?
    thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

ok, it finally worked to import the db, but now (after evrything did the job a couple of times ) this appears all of a sudden again and again:this happened after i had done a new playlist and wanted to synchronize it.
    Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F00/gtkpod080108.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F01/gtkpod252050.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F02/gtkpod314130.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F03/gtkpod706685.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F04/gtkpod251717.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F05/gtkpod685194.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F06/gtkpod165112.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F07/gtkpod678599.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F08/gtkpod179751.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F09/gtkpod688355.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F10/gtkpod631517.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F11/gtkpod010070.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F12/gtkpod422221.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F13/gtkpod045819.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F14/gtkpod581230.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F15/gtkpod400031.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

Error opening '/media/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/F16/gtkpod010002.mp3' for writing (Permission denied).

if i want to quit then it saysata has been changed and not been saved.
    OK to exit gtkpod?
    and on the ipod the files don't appear.
    well it seems that it has something to do with the rights,
    i have to use the sudocommand,
    if i dont then e.g. the message above appears, but if I use su
    then it cannot open the display:
    usr@fluffy:~$ su
    Password:
    root@fluffy:/home/usr# gtkpod &
    [1] 17662
    root@fluffy:/home/usr# Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

(gtkpod:17662): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

another thing i mentioned:
    in gnome u can just do "umount the ipod" on the desktop, while in kde u need to do "eject /dev/sda2".

how could i manage it that gtkpod automatically starts with sudo rights?
    e.g. i cannot use katapult i always have to open a terminal to start gtkpod:
    thx
    Last edited by joey111; April 1st, 2006 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

in the edit/preferences what do u specify as path to notes/calendar/contacts if u want to synchronize between kontact and the ipod through gtkpod?
    e.g. for notes i tried
    - knotes &
    - /home/usr/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes
    - /usr/bin/knotes
    ;
    what should i specify there, doesn't work..

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I know that this is really late but this is how I got my iPod working when it was messing up.

1. Go to a Windows computer and install the iPod software off of the packaged cdrom.

2. Plug your iPod into the computer and open the iPod software. In the software, choose reset. It will warn you that you are getting ready to clear your iPod, choose OK. Afterwards, you need to plug the iPod back into the wall on the charger and let it rebuild the firmware.

3. Plug the iPod back in the Windows computer and open iTunes. In iTunes load a random track/album/whatever.

4. Install gtkpod on your Ubuntu machine, and plug the iPod in. Make sure you click "Read" before you start adding/deleting/editing tracks. Everything should work out fine.

Possible errors:

Before I went through these steps I constantly had problems with the DB, but these steps solved all of it. The ONLY other error I have encountered was a Playback Count error. This error prevents you from adding and deleting tracks. The fix is to eject your iPod and use it. Let it run for ten or so tracks, then try again. This resets that file and gets it to work normally. Sometimes, you will also encounter an error syncing files saying blah.mp3 could not be added. Ignore this message. The track was added and will play.

I hope this helped someone.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast