Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: ipod/tunes headache!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: ipod/tunes headache!

Cheers guys! I changed the end bit of the mount in /etc/fstab i'm not sure if that was what did it. But just opening it as super user seemed to do it. I had to do it quite a few times, and then after a few more, it just started working fine automatically.
    So it was definitely a permissions thing, although maybe related to the mount too, it mounts as apple ipod (2) , and apple ipod just sits there, same as before. But that's fine with me!
    Excellent! I'm really pleased it's working I can now enjoy my spanking new ipod and then when i'm ready for more, i'll try and get Vive working. (I had a few issues installing that before, i was just doing the whole lot in one go hoping it would work first time. Hopefully the issues are sorted now gtkpod is properly working..)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Yay. it seems like you need more help than i

Shame that this only describes to make gtkpod work
    I dont have the repositories to get to compile the newest gtkpod from source. have any of you any tip. which repositories you use.

and to get this straigt.
    Yamipod - is very good. you can sync/build a list with many folders that sync to your ipod. but you cannot create the directorys needed if you erase them. to do that youll need
    gtkpod - that is very nice. but that i find very messy. hard to get to work and yeah. hard to figure out

AmaroK - is to be said to automaticly sync coverart. that have i never experienced. and i dont know how to install the latest version from source either. cause i dont have the f***** repositories :C
    and it gets me mad

youve already cleared out that itunes via crossoveroffice doesnt work with ipod in linux. why i dont know. but id like to figure out.

and the first thing i needed to do was to format it in windows. then it worked in linux and windows. before that nothing happend

now. im not a linux newbie. but i think ipod should be much much much easier in linux. and i do really want to have an ipod-program that doesn't chew up my cpu, when i use it

Feel free to pm me if you have any tip on how to get gtkpod to work properly and the rest of the programs. right now i like yamipod best it supports a lot of file synching. but sometimes "drop" files :/

and yeah gtkpod should be alot easier and simpler. imho

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Just to put this out there, the music player banshee is a very good music player and its ipod-syncing is way better than any program I have used.
    / Intel Pentium 4 3.4 ghz 1024 mb RAM
    \ 6600 GT
    Running Ubuntu Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

anyone figure out the auto unmounting thing? I did as ender said with setting it up so when i plug the ipod in it mounts, (shows icon on desktop) and opens up gtkpod. but when im done, i click file>quit in gtkpod, and it just says unmounting of /dev/sda2 unsuccesful, then it closes, and the ipod icon on desktop goes away. ipod still says do not disconnect, but after 15 minutes i did anyway, the 9 large video files i transferred were all good so nothing got jacked up, but im curious about the error

Nobody's Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well, first of all, you don't have to worry about the DO NOT DISCONNECT. You will not harm your iPod. It's simply a warning that you may leave some junk behind on your OS. This is especially valid in both Windows and OS X, but since you've unmounted it, you're fine.

What you can do is take it out of your fstab, and when you want to unmount it, simply do a fdisk -l and then find out the sd*2 where it's mounted, and run this command:

Code:
    sudo eject -sv /dev/sdx2
    Where x is the letter of the sd it's mounted at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

ipod/tunes and Linux - 9 i-opinions

Y'all:

There are my 9 i-opinions:

1st: I hope that Linux users who want to buy a "mp3" player will learn before making their purchase that Linux creates all sorts of nice music file types that are not proprietary, like OGG and FLAC files. However, Apple stuff will not read those OGG and FLAC files. Don't make OGG or FLAC files on your linux machine if you want your iPod to play them.

2nd: There is nice software that will convert those nice Linux music file formats to mp3: I use Sound Converter, but there are many others that might suit your needs better. CHECK THIS SOFTWARE OUT BEFORE BUYING AN IPOD, IF YOU MUST BY AN IPOD. If you are a musician, see my 8th comment, below.

3rd: Apple stuff (iTunes, iPod and Nano) creates files that are "m4a" file format types, If you download songs from the Apple store you will get an m4a file type. Although some destop music players can be confgured to play them, you will have to work at making them do it!

4th: I know of no software that coverts m4a files to any other file types that Linux and your car CD player prefer. That software might exist, but you will have to look hard to find it. As a Linux user and commuter, you will wish you had it.

5th: If you are a dedicated Linux user and are thinking about purchasing a "iPod clone," READ THE FEATURES OF THE PLAYER CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING YOUR PURCHASE TO MAKE SURE IT READS THE FILE TYPES THAT YOU WILL CREATE ON YOUR LINUX MACHINE.

6th: If you want to burn your linux music files to CDs that will be played in your car, then find out what file formats your car's CD player will read. Choose an "iPod clone" that can read the same formats that your car's CD player will read. You will think you are a genious if you do this!

7th: Stick to the music file type that your "iPod clone," car CD player, and Linux music player can use. THIS WILL ENHANCE YOUR MUSIC ENJOYMENT. Otherwise, you will spend hundreds of hours converting files to filetypes to satisfy the requirements of the hardware gadgets that you have purchased.

8th: There are some very good reasons why musicians might want an iPod. If you play professionally or solo, you can connct an iPod to a PA system and use it very effectively to play high-quality music thru the PA system to be your back-up band. If you are not a musician, then you might have more options.

9th: With all of this said, I think you will wind up creating mp3 files if you want to use music files between a car, your "iPod clone," and your Linux machine.

Sorry to express this opinion that runs against our efforts to create open source products. I'm in favor of open source stuff. However, as the household Linux system administrator and father of 2 sons who have iPods and drive my car, these are the opinions I've settled on at this point in time.

I hope that you find hardware in your car, linux machine, and "iPod clone" that simplifies your life and enhances your ability to enjoy music. Please let me know if there is something I've overlooked or am not aware of.

Sincerely,
    Phil Smith
    DULUTH, GA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ipod/tunes and Linux - 9 i-opinions

Phil,

As for #3 and #4, you can use ffmpeg to convert the music files from m4a to mp3, ogg, or whatever you feel like doing. Thought you should know to make your life easier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Endershaddow is correct.

Also, if you'd like to rip your CD's directly to MP3s using Sound Juicer, see
    http://www.emcken.dk/weblog/archives...nd-Juicer.html

All the best,
    Phil Smith
    Duluth, GA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

now. im not a linux newbie. but i think ipod should be much much much easier in linux.
    I'm a Windows newbie but I've been using Linux since the beginning of the year, and Mac OS for over a decade. I agree that iPod-loading programs on Linux suck, but iTunes sucks almost as much. My mother has a Shuffle, and quickly gets tired of all the songs on it; so she asks me to completely change the list.

If I try to delete the songs off the iPod in iTunes, it doesn't actually delete them. I always have to "Restore" the iPod first. I've twice installed the iPod software updater, both times the installer crashed TWICE. The first time I tried to load music onto the pod, iTunes didn't update the database and GTKpod did.

Why don't people complain about crap software on Windows?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

there is an option in itunes for the shuffle that makes it so it creates a random playlist out of the songs in the main library and then syncs them to the ipod.

itunes is actually a pretty spiffy music player, there are plugins to make it play .ogg files. My only complaint is that the ipod doesnt play ogg files or else i would be very happy getting an ipod.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456