Thread: convert 3gp audio files for audacity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

convert 3gp audio files for audacity

I have an android phone. The voice recorder records files in 3gp audio only format. I can play these on my computer with the standard gnome player and with vlc. However, audacity won't open it up. There is an error that says that FFmpeg should import it but it didn't understand the format. I need to edit some of these audio files for use.

Any help? Is there a way to convert these files to mp3 or flac so I can edit them? Searches turn up w32 ware and some arcane mencoder commands but they have to do with converting video.

Thanks..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: convert 3gp audio files for audacity

Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do exactly the same thing with audio from the Voice Recorder android app.

I've successfully used ffmpeg to convert the 3gp to avi but audacity doesn't want video files. I'm sure ffmpeg is capable, I'm just too familiar yet. anyone?

this is the code I got to work to make it into an avi, but there is no video to transcode, so this is a bit roundabout.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i filename.3gp -f avi -vcodec xvid -acodec ogg -ar 22050 newfilename.avi

Beans
    Hidden!

try using sound converter. its in the software centre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow, thank you so much. I hate when the solution is so easy I feel stupid, but it's also really awesome. 18 seconds later, the job is done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm using the Android app Hertz to record audio now instead of the google app. I think I tried sound converter a while back without much success - but that was quite a while ago.

Beans

There could be some confusion as I believe the android phones can put either aac or amr sound in a 3gp container. See the following:

Android Supported Media Formats
    http://developer.android.com/guide/a...a-formats.html

So the approach would be a little different in each case...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?