Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Browser Causes Ubuntu to Freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Internet Browser Causes Ubuntu to Freeze

I am having a huge issues with Opera, Japanese (Anthy), and Ubuntu 10.04. The reason, I know it's directly related to Opera and Japanese, because this has happen on two machines now, one being 10.04 & 9.10. The freezes themselves are weird as well.

- The first kind of freezes completely lockup the screen and keyboard, I can't click on the GUI, I can't use any keyboard shortcuts, and my power button doesn't even work.
    - The next kind of freezes disables clicking of the GUI, but I can use the keyboard to control the computer. At which point, I completely close out of Opera and everything is back to working order.
    - The next kind of freeze disables all type in Opera and only in opera, but I can click on the GUI, use keyboard shortcuts and even control other programs. I close down opera and restart it, opera + everything is working again.
    - And the last kind of freeze disables clicking of the GUI, keyboard shortcuts, and all programs, but I can sometimes click on the power button and it will bring up this system menu entitled "Shut Down the Computer". This will give me options of shut down, restart, suspend, and hibernate. At this point, I can now click on the GUI of this system menu and use my keyboard to operate the computer. I close out of this menu and everything is back to working order.

Which is weird because this will only happen when Opera is open. Also, all of my System Monitors work and I get updates from Pidgin that someone signed online even during these "kind" of freezes.

Machine one: 10.04
    86x bit
    Opera 10.10 build 4742
    Japanese Anthy

Machine Two: 9.04
    86x Bit
    Opera
    Japanese Anthy

Machine two worked fine with opera and without Japanese on it for a long time, but after installing Japanese on it, it started these weird kind of freezes.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks for reading,
    Sugi
    WINE: Super Meat Boy // Far Cry 2 // Lineage 2
    VirtualBox: Snapshots // OSE Issues
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans

Re: Internet Browser Causes Ubuntu to Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by Sugi View Post
    I am having a huge issues with Opera, Japanese (Anthy), and Ubuntu 10.04. The reason, I know it's directly related to Opera and Japanese, because this has happen on two machines now, one being 10.04 & 9.10. The freezes themselves are weird as well.

- The first kind of freezes completely lockup the screen and keyboard, I can't click on the GUI, I can't use any keyboard shortcuts, and my power button doesn't even work.
    - The next kind of freezes disables clicking of the GUI, but I can use the keyboard to control the computer. At which point, I completely close out of Opera and everything is back to working order.
    - The next kind of freeze disables all type in Opera and only in opera, but I can click on the GUI, use keyboard shortcuts and even control other programs. I close down opera and restart it, opera + everything is working again.
    - And the last kind of freeze disables clicking of the GUI, keyboard shortcuts, and all programs, but I can sometimes click on the power button and it will bring up this system menu entitled "Shut Down the Computer". This will give me options of shut down, restart, suspend, and hibernate. At this point, I can now click on the GUI of this system menu and use my keyboard to operate the computer. I close out of this menu and everything is back to working order.

Which is weird because this will only happen when Opera is open. Also, all of my System Monitors work and I get updates from Pidgin that someone signed online even during these "kind" of freezes.

Machine one: 10.04
    86x bit
    Opera 10.10 build 4742
    Japanese Anthy

Machine Two: 9.04
    86x Bit
    Opera
    Japanese Anthy

Machine two worked fine with opera and without Japanese on it for a long time, but after installing Japanese on it, it started these weird kind of freezes.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks for reading,
    Sugi
    Roll your kernel back to 2.6.32-21-generic. It has been working well for me. Also look at other posts in this forum about freezes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, to my mind Opera version 10.10 has already passed its shelf life. I don't know if this will cure your strange freeze problems, but try updating to the new Opera 10.60 Beta to see how it goes . Also, there are tons of new features, bug fixes and optimisations. And it's so stable that for the first time in my life I actually migrated to an Alpha release. The new beta is worth considering.

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

.:CheerS:. and hope I could help you.
    "Minds are like parachutes - they work only when they're open" - a friend who already graduated

Beans
    Distro

radddi,
    I'll try it on Machine one, and see one how it works. Thanks.

dnguyen1963,
    Machine One:
    2.6.32-22-generic
    Machine Two:
    2.6.31.17-generic

I'll look into it on Machine one. Thanks for the tip.

Sugi
    Last edited by Sugi; June 21st, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Asian characters seem really heavy for most systems...

Beans
    Distro

They are not too heavy.

dnguyen1963,
    I have two different kernel version, but the same problem between them.

Sugi
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans

I never had Opera problems like this -- Japanese input either works well or not at all.

Are you using Anthy with SCIM or IBus? For me, IBus doesn't work with Opera or other Qt programs. Ubuntu is pushing IBus and dropped SCIM, but IBus doesn't fully work yet. If you are using IBus, try switching to SCIM. If you are using SCIM, try switching to IBus.

I've put most of what I know about Anthy and SCIM in the post http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=27811

1. installation:

To use Anthy with SCIM, you should have the packages
    scim-bridge-agent
    scim-bridge-client-gtk
    scim-bridge-client-qt
    scim-gtk2-immodule
    scim-modules-socket
    scim-qtimm

I also suggest
    edict, enamdict, gjiten, kanjidic, kasumi, poppler-data, gs-cjk-resource, cmap-adobe-japan1, cmap-adobe-japan2, xpdf-japanese for full PDF ability, a dictionary (gjiten) and a utility to add kanji combinations to the word lookup list (kasumi)

2. xinput.d:

Check your hidden home directory file ~/.xinput.d/en_US, which links to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge. It must be edited as root. Mine was choosing xim first. I had to change it to prefer scim-bridge, then scim:

XIM=SCIM
    if [ -e /usr/bin/skim ]; then
    XIM_PROGRAM=" "
    else
    XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim-bridge
    fi
    XIM_ARGS="-d"
    if [ -e /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/*/immodules/im-scim-bridge.so ]; then
    GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
    else
    GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
    fi
    if [ -e /usr/lib/qt3/plugins/inputmethods/im-scim-bridge.so ]; then
    QT_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
    else
    QT_IM_MODULE=scim
    fi
    DEPENDS="scim | skim, scim-bridge-agent, scim-bridge-client-gtk | scim-bridge-client-qt"

3. Opera command:

You should be able to start Opera from the command line with
    scim -d & XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM" QT_IM_MODULE="scim" opera

To start it from the regular menu, I made a file called ~/.bin/opera-scim:

#!/bin/sh
    QT_IM_MODULE="scim"; export QT_IM_MODULE
    XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"; export XIM_PROGRAM
    opera

then made it executable, and edited the Applications menu to change the Opera properties to run:
    ~/.bin/opera-scim %u

Possibly your locale is a problem, though I haven't had locale trouble in years. Adding these to the startup script might help:

LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE
    LINGUAS=en_US.UTF-8; export LINGUAS
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8; export LANG
    LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8; export LC_CTYPE
    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8; export LC_MESSAGES
    SUPPORTED=en_US:C:en_US:ISO-8859-15:ja_JP.eucJP:ja_JP.UTF-8:ja_JP:ja:ja_JP.JIS7:ja_JP.SJIS; export SUPPORTED

After that, I suggest looking at the log files. Something there may indicate your specific problem.

You can also try newer or older versions of Opera. It's the only program I ever have trouble with, but I like it too much to switch.

Beans
    Distro

I haven't gotten any good results from the suggestions in this thread. Bummer, has anyone come across this problem and figured how to fix it?

Edit:
    Reading Material that's kinda related:
    http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....t=27811&page=4

Sugi
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, this is the general Ubuntu forum... So finding a Japanese guy that happens to find a fix for your problem here - are pretty low... Even if there is 1 or 2 here with a solution, maybe they'll miss topic. That being said, I believe you'll have better luck on a a local forum:

http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/

English is not my native language, I'm actually from Romania, and obviously - solution specific to my language are more easy to find on local forum. Yet I use English version, don't like the translated terms...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tip, but I think it's more linked to Opera issues and maybe just having a second language on the system as well. Probably any second language infact. The fix could just be an easy one that might not even be linked to Japanese.

Sugi
    アンディモリを聞いてください。

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast