Thread: How To: Uninstall/Remove Old Wireless Driver to make way for New Driver (RTL8191SE)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question How To: Uninstall/Remove Old Wireless Driver to make way for New Driver (RTL8191SE)?

How To: Uninstall/Remove Old Wireless Driver to make way for New Driver (RTL8191SE)?

Here's the new driver:

I have been having trouble with my wireless connection intermittently disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly (sometimes every couple of seconds). I posted a thread about this here on Ubuntu Forums titled: Ubuntu 10.45 & NetworkManager Applet 8.0: Connects & Disconnects Frequently. I also emailed Realtek and requested help and received the following email:
    From: roger_liang <roger_liang@realtek.com> Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:39 PM To: ME
    Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for your mail.
    Please find the latest RTL8191SE Linux driver source in the attachment.
    You should clear previous drive first after you install this driver source.
    The previous driver will be stored within /lib/modules/2.6.XXX/kernel/driver/staging.
    Please remove "r8192se_pci.ko" file.
    You could execute find-name "r8192se_pci.ko" in /lib/modules/2.6.XXX to check it’s clear properly.
    And then, install this driver source as below steps. Don’t forget to unzip this package before you install it.
    1. sudo su
    2. make
    3. make install
    4. reboot
    5. ./wlan0up or ./wlan1up
    If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.
    Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Roger_Liang
    Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

To
    : ME Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM To: roger_liang <roger_liang@realtek.com>

FROM: roger_liang <roger_liang@realtek.com> Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM To: ME
    Dear Sir,

Yes, you should remove the older driver then install the new one.
    Please just follow our description to configure driver source. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Roger_Liang
    Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:36 PM
    To: Roger Liang
    Subject: Re: Ubuntu 10.45 & NetworkManager Applet 8.0: Connects & Disconnects Frequently

To: roger_liang <roger_liang@realtek.com>
    Roger,

Thank you for your response Do you have and automatic uninstaller for "r8192se_pci.ko" and a automatic installer for RTL8191SE I performed a file search for "r8192se_pci.ko" and found three files installed (see attached screenshot for a description of where they're are it). I attempted to uninstall them all, but Ubuntu said I didn't have permission (see attached screen shots for system messages). I then tried to use the terminal to delete the files, but I couldn't fine the "lib" folder (see "Terminal" screen shot for transcript of what transpired).

Roger, can you help me on this? I'm at a loss on what to do

Sincere,
    Bob Marly[Quoted text hidden]

File Search ~ r8192se_pci.ko.jpg File Search ~ "r8192se_pci.ko" - Could not delete "r8192se_pci.ko"..jpg File Search ~ "r8192se_pci.ko" - Do you want to delete "r8192se_pci.ko" permanently?.jpg Terminal ~ Trying to find lib directory.jpg

• "You should clear previous drive first after you install this driver source.
      The previous driver will be stored within /lib/modules/2.6.XXX/kernel/driver/staging.
      Please remove "r8192se_pci.ko" file.
      You could execute find-name "r8192se_pci.ko" in /lib/modules/2.6.XXX to check it’s clear properly."

• How do I perform this action?
        As you can see above in Orange and Green (also see attached screen shots), I've tried to find this find this file and remove it to no avail. I can find it using PLACES > Search for files..., but I can't delete it. I also tried to find the file in the Terminal, but I don't think I really understood how to do that.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I really appreciate any help you can provide us

Sincerely,
    Bob Marly

P.S. I attempted to post the
    RTL8191SE driver file here, but it was to large and the forum wouldn't accept it. this is the error message I received:

rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0017.0525.2010.tar.gz:
    Your file of 1.89 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 976.6 KB for this filetype.
    If you know a way around this please let me know and I'll post it ASAP for the community. Thanks.
    Last edited by u2rcrazy; June 21st, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How To: Uninstall/Remove Old Wireless Driver to make way for New Driver (RTL8191

to find:
    locate <the_file_name>

To copy a selected text in terminal:
    ctrl+insert
    To paste in terminal
    shift + insert

To remove:
    sudo rm /path.to/file.ko
    <insert password>
    God loves you. Love Him too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: How To: Uninstall/Remove Old Wireless Driver to make way for New Driver (RTL8191

AlexZaim,

Thanks for your reply. I just used your directions and they worked most of the way. The only thing that didn't work was the remove or rm command. I received the following reply when typing the remove command: rm: cannot remove `/lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/r8192se_pci.ko': No such file or directory. This is the same message that I received when I tried to delete this file using the Ubuntu GUI. I have included a screen shot of the terminal that shows everything starting with the "locate" command through this rm command a it's message.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Last edited by u2rcrazy; July 12th, 2010 at 09:03 AM.