Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External HDD wont mount

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: External HDD wont mount

Quote Originally Posted by boogy9 View Post
    For the future try using the disk in ext3 or 4 that way you have more compatibility on linux. and even the repair of the HDD on linux is much easier .... (juste an advice)

+1 I have had so many problems with ntfs in the past. ext4 is way better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i intended to make 2 partitions one ext4 and ntfs or fat32 because i share it on network with windows machines, but i didnt want to mess around because i dont have a place to put 200 GB files that are alredy on it... if the disk can be repaired, i will do this...
    nobody commented my idea to put the head into another disk.. is that possible?

EDIT: i did connect the disk to windows and went to Computer -> Manage -> Storage, and i saw the disk but i couldnt initialize it (right click - Initialize)... today i connected it to a computer directly via sata cable to the motherboard but computer couldnt find it... (i was looking in bios and booted xubuntu from live cd).... so there must be physical malfunction, i guess...
    Last edited by marin123; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by marin123 View Post
    i intended to make 2 partitions one ext4 and ntfs or fat32 because i share it on network with windows machines, but i didnt want to mess around because i dont have a place to put 200 GB files that are alredy on it... if the disk can be repaired, i will do this...
    nobody commented my idea to put the head into another disk.. is that possible?

EDIT: i did connect the disk to windows and went to Computer -> Manage -> Storage, and i saw the disk but i couldnt initialize it (right click - Initialize)... today i connected it to a computer directly via sata cable to the motherboard but computer couldnt find it... (i was looking in bios and booted xubuntu from live cd).... so there must be physical malfunction, i guess...

You need power and a sata cable to run off the motherboard and as for the idea to put the head into another disk no ideal . I may be wrong but I don't think it's a physical malfunction.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you should try and use the "dd" command and create an iso of your broken h/d (if its shown in /dev)
    |AMD Phenom II X4 955|8Gb ddr3 1333|GTS250 1Gb|
    Teeth cut on Redhat, Moved to Debian, Loving Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i wrote that i did connect it to a motherboard... i removed the main hdd (the one that i have ubuntu on) and replaced with this hdd and nothing... like i didnt connect anything, but the disk was spinning... thats why i think its a physical malfunction...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12