Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Ubuntu Needs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

What Ubuntu Needs

Hi guys,

Just a thread to explain what I think Ubuntu needs in order to compete with the user experience of Windows or Mac.

1) Ubuntu's support for external monitors/projectors is painfully awful. Even in Bryan Lunduke's "Why Desktop Linux Sucks" videos, he couldn't do something as simple as display an OpenOffice slideshow without getting assistance from someone in the audience. Windows and Mac users trying out Ubuntu just aren't going to jump through these loops.

There's only two ways I can connect to an external monitor using Nvidia drivers, TwinView and Separate X Screen. Both are useless and horrifically buggy. I can't even run a flash video full screen. That's just not on - it just can't be this way anymore. It's been said time and time again, Xorg is awful.

If Ubuntu had a built in system like Windows, where a single button combination on the keyboard toggled both video and sound output modes, it would be that much closer to being a Windows rival. For example, whenever I watch movies on my TV using Windows, all I have to is hit Fn-F2 once and both video and sound goes out through the HDMI cable to the TV.

2) While probably not strictly the fault of Ubuntu or Linux, Adobe's Flash Player for Linux is quite simply terrible. I have their latest 10.1 release with GPU acceleration. I like to think I have a good PC; 2GHz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia 9600M GT video chip. Yet, if I try to run a YouTube video fullscreen at 480p, it struggles, with screen-tearing by the bucketload. 720p? Let's not even go there. 1080p? I'd fear for my computer's life!

They're the main things I have gripes with when it comes to Ubuntu. Otherwise it's a very good OS. Does anyone have anything to add or any comments on the above?

Thanks guys

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What Ubuntu Needs

Quote Originally Posted by TheCosmicFrog View Post

There's only two ways I can connect to an external monitor using Nvidia drivers, TwinView and Separate X Screen. Both are useless and horrifically buggy. I can't even run a flash video full screen.
    I've never had issues with these things. They always work just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

External projectors, etc. are still a pain, I must agree. And Flash isn't quite as fast as Windows users are used to, granted. But I figured it's worth the pain nevertheless like you said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by WinterRain View Post
    Same here. I am currently viewing my laptop monitor via my television thanks to NVIDIA. Furthermore, I was watching "Mystery Science Theater 3,000" not twenty minutes ago via Flash and everything was fine. At 720p or higher content streamed to my LCD combo HDTV looks terrific. What manufacturer and model of computer are you using?
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

2) While probably not strictly the fault of Ubuntu or Linux, Adobe's Flash Player for Linux is quite simply terrible.
    's/probably/definitely' | 's/strictly/at all'
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    's/probably/definitely' | 's/strictly/at all'
    YKYAGW... The worst thing is I actually understood it

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WinterRain View Post
    Works For Me(tm)?

Personally, I've never had much problem with Flash, but external monitors is a bit confusing at times, and prone to bugs; or at least strange or psuedo random behavior. (Nvidia card here)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Guy View Post
    YKYAGW... The worst thing is I actually understood it
    Haha, I got it too, nice one!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Said it here before.
    Both Intel and Nvidia work great for me on projectors, and my HD TV. Intel vga is actually easiest.
    Keep Chromium and Firefox as full screen flash options-one will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi guys,

Just a thread to explain what I think Ubuntu needs in order to compete with the user experience of Windows or Mac.

1) Ubuntu's support for external monitors/projectors is painfully awful. Even in Bryan Lunduke's "Why Desktop Linux Sucks" videos, he couldn't do something as simple as display an OpenOffice slideshow without getting assistance from someone in the audience. Windows and Mac users trying out Ubuntu just aren't going to jump through these loops.

There's only two ways I can connect to an external monitor using Nvidia drivers, TwinView and Separate X Screen. Both are useless and horrifically buggy. I can't even run a flash video full screen. That's just not on - it just can't be this way anymore. It's been said time and time again, Xorg is awful.

If Ubuntu had a built in system like Windows, where a single button combination on the keyboard toggled both video and sound output modes, it would be that much closer to being a Windows rival. For example, whenever I watch movies on my TV using Windows, all I have to is hit Fn-F2 once and both video and sound goes out through the HDMI cable to the TV.

2) While probably not strictly the fault of Ubuntu or Linux, Adobe's Flash Player for Linux is quite simply terrible. I have their latest 10.1 release with GPU acceleration. I like to think I have a good PC; 2GHz Core 2 Duo and Nvidia 9600M GT video chip. Yet, if I try to run a YouTube video fullscreen at 480p, it struggles, with screen-tearing by the bucketload. 720p? Let's not even go there. 1080p? I'd fear for my computer's life!

They're the main things I have gripes with when it comes to Ubuntu. Otherwise it's a very good OS. Does anyone have anything to add or any comments on the above?

Thanks guys
    Have you tried downloading the video so you can use VLC? It is very stable and you could keep everything.
    And then, all of a sudden, nothing happened!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast