Thread: Flash Player Firefox

Beans

Flash Player Firefox

Hi,
    After re-installing ubuntu 8.04, I have lost my ability to use the myspace music player (which I use a lot). I was also unable to play flash movies so, I installed the flash plugin like this:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    based on advice I found by googling. Now I can watch movies, but the problem with the myspace player persists. There is a message where the player should be that says
    Get Flash now!

In order to listen or view this content you will have to upgrade your version of Flash.

with a button below that will allow me to download a tarball, but I don't really know what to do with the tarball.
    I'm hoping there is a simple fix, because all I did was reinstall the same OS as I had before and 24 hours ago I could watch flash movies as well as listen to my own and other peoples music on myspace. I know that flash works, but I don't know how to install the right plugin, I guess. Please help politely if you can.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Flash Player Firefox

Beans

Thanx for the response.

I tried this

sudo apt-get purge swfdec-mozilla
    sudo apt-get purge mozilla-plugin-gnash
    sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer
    rm -f $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*so
    rm -rf $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/Macromed/Flash
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so

as recomended on the site you mentioned. Restarted the computer and the same problem still exists.
    The strange thing is that all I did initially is to reinstall 8.04. The first time I installed I did something in add/remove programs that worked. Up until a few days ago, before the reinstall, I had no problems with myspace.

Any more suggestions? I'd really like to solve this.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

on 8.04 i had a lot of problems myself.I don't know but
    for 9.10 and 10.04 flash from the repo's always crashed
    firefox for me i found that downloading flash from adobe's
    website stopped it from doing that.That may help you.

Beans

If I click on the link on myspace (Get Adobe FlashPlayer) it downloads a file called install_flash_player _10_linux.tar.gz from http://fpdownload.macromedia.com and it opens up in the archive manager. I've just done that and the archive manager put a file called libflashplayer.so on my desktop. The problem is I don't know what to do next. What did you do after downloading flash from adobe?

Beans

Here is what is currently installed as plugins in firefox on my system

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so Shockwave Flash 9.0 r277 MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes Default Plugin

File name: libnullplugin.so The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled * All types .* No Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux

File name: libunixprintplugin.so The demo print plugin for unix. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-print-unix-nsplugin Demo Print Plugin for Unix/Linux .pnt Yes Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.22.1

File name: libtotem-basic-plugin.so The Totem 2.22.1 plugin handles video and audio streams. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-ogg - ogg Yes application/ogg Ogg multimedia ogg Yes audio/ogg Ogg Audio oga Yes audio/x-ogg Ogg Audio ogg Yes video/ogg Ogg Video ogv Yes video/x-ogg Ogg Video ogg Yes application/annodex - anx Yes audio/annodex - axa Yes video/annodex - axv Yes video/mpeg MPEG video mpg, mpeg, mpe Yes audio/wav WAV audio wav Yes audio/x-wav WAV audio wav Yes audio/mpeg MP3 audio mp3 Yes application/x-nsv-vp3-mp3 NullSoft video nsv Yes video/flv Flash video flv Yes Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible (compatible; Totem)

File name: libtotem-complex-plugin.so The Totem 2.22.1 plugin handles video and audio streams. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealAudio document rpm Yes VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 2.22.1)

File name: libtotem-cone-plugin.so The Totem 2.22.1 plugin handles video and audio streams. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-vlc-plugin unknown
    Yes application/vlc unknown
    Yes video/x-google-vlc-plugin unknown
    Yes Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)

File name: libtotem-gmp-plugin.so The Totem 2.22.1 plugin handles video and audio streams. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/x-mplayer2 AVI video avi, wma, wmv Yes video/x-ms-asf-plugin ASF video asf, wmv Yes video/x-msvideo AVI video asf, wmv Yes video/x-ms-asf ASF video asf Yes video/x-ms-wmv Windows Media video wmv Yes video/x-wmv Windows Media video wmv Yes video/x-ms-wvx Microsoft ASX playlist wmv Yes video/x-ms-wm ASF video wmv Yes application/x-ms-wms Windows Media video wms Yes application/asx Microsoft ASX playlist asx Yes audio/x-ms-wma Windows Media audio wma Yes DivX® Web Player

File name: libtotem-mully-plugin.so DivX Web Player version 1.4.0.233 MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled video/divx AVI video divx Yes QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0

File name: libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so The Totem 2.22.1 plugin handles video and audio streams. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled video/quicktime QuickTime video mov Yes video/mp4 MPEG-4 video mp4 Yes image/x-macpaint MacPaint Bitmap image pntg Yes image/x-quicktime QuickTime image pict, pict1, pict2 Yes video/x-m4v MPEG-4 video m4v Yes iTunes Application Detector

File name: librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox. MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled application/itunes-plugin

Yes
    I'm not sure if that will help anyone find an answer for me but I thought it couldn't hurt to supply the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

download flash player for linux it should be a deb file
    and click it on 8.04 i think you need to install debconfig
    for 8.04 but i could be wrong on that.in the dropdown box
    select the .deb for ubuntu 8.04 Here is the adobe link
    Last edited by andrea000; June 21st, 2010 at 07:03 AM.

Beans

I solved the problem. What I did was modify the script that was suggested on the link that you originally posted above. I noticed when I looked at it again that the line

was the same file I had just downloaded from adobe.

so I did this

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
    rm -f $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*so
    rm -rf $HOME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/Macromed/Flash
    sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    sudo cp $HOME/Desktop/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so

When I opened the browser again, everything flash including the player on myspace was working perfectly. Thank you so much for leading me to that site, because I'm no geek and barely understand the command line, but I just really learned something from this experience and your kind assistance. Thanx as well for recommending that I just go ahead and download from adobe.
    I couldn't have fixed this without you!!!!
    Cheers,
    Jeff