Thread: Java update...how???

Beans

Java update...how???

I can get the update downloaded, but when I double-click it it needs a program to run it. How do I run the downloaded update? I have Java version 6, but can't use it on Facebook to upload multiple pictures. Thanks for any help. Oh, I have Ubuntu version 8.04 on a Dell Netbook.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Java update...how???

Hello petloverx

It is advisable to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 in order for everything to work properly. I use 10.04 and facebook works without any problem on 10.04, it is also a good idea to use Java from the repository. The repository will update as needed. 8.04 is due for end of support life as well and 10.04 is the current long term support release here is the upgrade page if you decide you want to do an upgrade.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades

Good luck I hope this helps

Beans

I can't upgrade. I do the Check thing and it says my computer is up to date, however, it still says I'm running 8.04. Time for a new laptop!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by petloverx View Post
    I can't upgrade. I do the Check thing and it says my computer is up to date, however, it still says I'm running 8.04. Time for a new laptop!
    Try checking your settings, System > Administration > Update Manager > Settings > Updates tab - what is it set to ?

You can also clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you should read the wiki link that I posted earilyer it explains how to upgrade or install the newest version of ubuntu. If you have a friend who is computer savy show him/her and see if they can help. Just a thought good luck