Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emulators on Ubuntu somewhat lacking.. ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Emulators on Ubuntu somewhat lacking.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade_freshfade View Post
    Yeah but I already have the current one running don't i?
    No, you have to activate it, it's installed but it's not being used. Click on the "current" driver and click activate, restart, and your performance will go from lame to GOOD.

Also, if you would like to know about Emulation on Ubuntu, I've recently completed an AMAZING setup on my own laptop, running with an NVIDIA card as well.

The Emulators I am using are:
    SNES9x
    Kega Fusion (Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Master System, 32x, and CD)
    Hu-Go! (for PCE/Turbografx-16)
    SDLMAME
    Mednafen (For Gameboy, GBC, and Gameboy Advance, as well as NES)

Since SDLMAME and Mednafen are rather command-line dependent, I use a frontend app called Wah!Cade.

Beans

Ah I see. If the one highlighted green is activated, then yes you're using it. You're fully up to date, yes? You could try Options/Preferences/Display in SNES9x and click "Use [however many] threads for filtering and scaling". I have a dual core CPU so I use 2 threads. Could help.

I can't imagine why you're getting this problem though. Are you using the latest driver (v.195.36.24) in System/Administration/Nvidia X Server Settings? Do you have Compiz effects enabled, such as desktop cube etc?
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Ah I see. If the one highlighted green is activated, then yes you're using it. You're fully up to date, yes? You could try Options/Preferences/Display in SNES9x and click "Use [however many] threads for filtering and scaling". I have a dual core CPU so I use 2 threads. Could help.

I can't imagine why you're getting this problem though. Are you using the latest driver (v.195.36.24) in System/Administration/Nvidia X Server Settings? Do you have Compiz effects enabled, such as desktop cube etc?
    No I don't use Compiz since my friend who uses Ubuntu says it's not really a plus but just a nice extra and it might sometimes slow down your performance...

And I am running Nvidia driver 195.36.15, how do i update it to .24 then?

But my nvidia driver was already activated!

Beans

Screenie:

Notice that above, you see my processor usage, and despite the fact that it is running a few apps while also an emulator with my thrustmaster dual analog controller plugged in, it doesn't even use half of it's capacity.. however i still get laggy sound, and blue spots and squares on the screens and lagging when i shoot?

Beans

Blimey. Don't want to scare you but blue dots and squares could be a sign there's something up with the card! I recently had the fan on my 9800GT stop, and this resulted in a similar issue with sparklies on screen, then random reboots.

The updated driver came to me through the usual daily Update Manager recently. You could try System/Administration/Update Manager and see what you get.

However if that isn't the problem, have you tried different plug ins on Mupen64Plus, and also played with the settings on the other emulators? I can honestly say I have a great experience with these emu's on Ubuntu, and the performance is mostly exactly as it is on my W7 install, if not better. This doesn't help you much sadly, but I bet it's something silly somewhere.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Is that GoldenEye? I've never had much luck running it with mupen due to lag issues ona decent system, do you have similar problems with other games?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade_freshfade View Post
    Screenie:
    (IMAGE)
    Notice that above, you see my processor usage, and despite the fact that it is running a few apps while also an emulator with my thrustmaster dual analog controller plugged in, it doesn't even use half of it's capacity.. however i still get laggy sound, and blue spots and squares on the screens and lagging when i shoot?
    N64 emulators are the one thing I find to be lacking on the Linux side of things, and this is coming from someone who is otherwise very happy with his emulation setup. The version of mupen64plus that you can get from the Software Center is old, and the new version requires command line usage or a frontend program. Either way, it can be a pain to set up, and once it's running, it doesn't always run that great either. That being said, you can get some N64 games to run very well if you put in the effort, it's just a pain in the butt.

All the other emulators I use, and I mean this, ALL OF THEM, work perfectly with a little bit of configuration. You might have to edit config files and stuff like that, but it's so worth it - the performance I get simply blows Windows out of the water.

Hi guys, it's me razorblade_freshfade, for some bizarre reason, Ubuntu forums keep banning me cause I once flamed a guy who flamed another guy first. Consequently I get banned each time i create an account, but conveniently for them, they never ever let me defend myself but just instaban me, so i'm forced to keep creating new accounts. But anyways, this isn't of the matter.

Goldeneye isn't the only thing that isn't working, i've tried it with mario kart 64 and big mountain 2000: weird polygonal colored fields appear in the middle of the emulator screen. I don't know what's causing this at all, and it makes me kind of sad since i could run it so well on windows...

Are there any other n64 emulators available for Ubuntu or am I stuck with mupen64? And how do i install a newer version because the explanation on the site looked quite complicated for a noob like me.

Beans

Mupen64Plus really is the best there is. You shouldn't be having these issues you describe, though Hikari is right - Goldeneye isn't that great on Mupen.

Have you tried the other graphics plugins for Mupen? I suppose you could use Project 64 in WINE. I believe that works fine.

Beans

By the way, are you using Mupen64plus or just plain old Mupen64? You definetely need to be using mupen64plus, it's much better. Also, Project64 works very well in Wine, but for me most games work fine in Mupen (mess around with the different graphics plugins, some work better than others, and certain games work better with certain plugins).
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast