Thread: GUI developing in ubuntu

Beans

GUI developing in ubuntu

hi,

i am new to ubuntu i have installed 10.04, i am very much interested in developing application for this new version can anybody let me know how to go about writing applications.

i have installed ubuntu through windows while installing i selected 4Gb of disk space from windows, but now i am getting warning saying low memory , how can i increase the memory, the partition size is 10 gb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GUI developing in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Welcome to the forums, As im not sure of your programming history or Linux. My suggestion would be start by learning The CLI. "The Linux Command Line" by William E. Shotts, Jr. is a great free book available in PDF. As Far as programming I suggest reading the stickies in the programming section of this forum. Welcome Again!
    Last edited by Swatfoot; June 21st, 2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

Beans

thank u , i am C , C++ programmer currently reading book mentioned ny you, "The Linux Command Line" by William E. Shotts it is a interesting book for me as i am a new to linux.

thanks

Beans

Howdy,

Making a GUI application on Linux is easier than on Windows. Use Glade to do the GUI and write the code in Perl, PHP, Python or C - whichever you prefer.

Beans

thank you Herman , will have to download and install Glade, i want to know how install in ubuntu without internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you're interested in Python, check out Quickly. It uses Python/PyGTK and Glade to help you build apps, er, quickly. It also links up to Launchpad so that you can push your app out in a PPA in one step.