Thread: Linux Terminal Server Project Threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Linux Terminal Server Project Threads

Greets,

LTSP is a fundamental part of getting Ubuntu out on the desktops. If a teacher can drop a CD into his desktop and get his CLASSROOM on Linux - this is a powerful thing!

I suggest making a forum for LTSP - I would be happy to volunteer my time to help admin it.

Why make a whole forum for one part of Ubuntu? There are many parts of Ubuntu that don't have their own forum dedicated to it.

1. The importance of Ubuntu LTSP - we're not talking about a live CD and 1 desktop, we're talking about a 30 PC classroom of kids that will be exposed to Ubuntu Linux! This is awesome.

2. The technical stages of the install make it so that issues end up in various forums. For example - I have a DHCP issue during a LTSP install.
    Do I go to: A - The Install and Updates forum as it's a new install? B - The networking forum as it's DHCP? C - The General Help forum looking for an LTSP expert?
    Then I solve that issue and now I am UP and RUNNING LTSP. I discover a video problem with my thin client.
    So I go to the Multimedia & Video thread. Everyone is trying to help - but they don't understand the more complex environment of LTSP, so they are confused when I can't just edit the XORG.conf of my local machine... My question goes un-answered - Discouraged, I forget about LTSP.

3. Finally - everyone who has solved problems and would know the 'easy answers' are not hanging out in the 'general help' forum. The have more complex and complicated questions and are in an entirely different set of forums. We cry for the noobs to do a search for answers, but what about getting the LTSP subject experts to search in ALL forums for 'LTSP' questions. If all of the hard and easy questions were grouped in the same forum - I guarantee you that more work on LTSP would be accomplished.

Thanks!
    - Kris
    -- Ubuntu 8.10 on my Desktop -- Ubuntu 9.04 on my Dell Mini 9 --

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux Terminal Server Project Threads

LTSP is indeed a bit complex, and support is different enough ....

I suggest you add your suggestion onto the FC agenda.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Great idea! See my post at the following link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=LTSP
    Dell Mini 10v Triple Boot | OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot | 2 GB DDR2 RAM

Ubuntu. Faster, smoother, more beautiful...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by haddog View Post
    Great idea! See my post at the following link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=LTSP

BTW. My test thin-clients are a Dell Mini 1011 and a 1012.
    Dell Mini 10v Triple Boot | OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot | 2 GB DDR2 RAM

Ubuntu. Faster, smoother, more beautiful...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by webkris View Post
    Greets,

LTSP is a fundamental part of getting Ubuntu out on the desktops. If a teacher can drop a CD into his desktop and get his CLASSROOM on Linux - this is a powerful thing!

I suggest making a forum for LTSP - I would be happy to volunteer my time to help admin it.

Why make a whole forum for one part of Ubuntu? There are many parts of Ubuntu that don't have their own forum dedicated to it.

1. The importance of Ubuntu LTSP - we're not talking about a live CD and 1 desktop, we're talking about a 30 PC classroom of kids that will be exposed to Ubuntu Linux! This is awesome.

2. The technical stages of the install make it so that issues end up in various forums. For example - I have a DHCP issue during a LTSP install.
    Do I go to: A - The Install and Updates forum as it's a new install? B - The networking forum as it's DHCP? C - The General Help forum looking for an LTSP expert?
    Then I solve that issue and now I am UP and RUNNING LTSP. I discover a video problem with my thin client.
    So I go to the Multimedia & Video thread. Everyone is trying to help - but they don't understand the more complex environment of LTSP, so they are confused when I can't just edit the XORG.conf of my local machine... My question goes un-answered - Discouraged, I forget about LTSP.

3. Finally - everyone who has solved problems and would know the 'easy answers' are not hanging out in the 'general help' forum. The have more complex and complicated questions and are in an entirely different set of forums. We cry for the noobs to do a search for answers, but what about getting the LTSP subject experts to search in ALL forums for 'LTSP' questions. If all of the hard and easy questions were grouped in the same forum - I guarantee you that more work on LTSP would be accomplished.

Thanks!
    - Kris
    The consensus opinion seems to be that you use the servers section of the forums with a [ltsp] tag.

See also https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncil...eports/Current
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface