Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want my koala back !

Beans

Unhappy I want my koala back !

Ok so basically I'm a noob and I have no idea how linux work, all I know is that it worked well before I updated to the lynx. Now theres bugs everywhere, nothing seems to work, programs and drives are lost somewhere in an outerspace vortex, and everything is slow, soooo slow.

But like I said I know nothing except I didnt have any problems when I was on koala, so I want to go back then, but I have no clue how can I do that without losing my files, or anything... Could someone give me a step-by-step guide and the links to go download karmic koala ? I dont want to get the wrong version, or mess up the installation and delete all my files...

*about to cry* I regret this update so much, should never have done it... It seems to work well for some, but when it doesnt, it crashes everything sooo bad...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I want my koala back !

NezumiStarrdust

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10

Sharky

Beans

Ok tell me I'm stupid, but when I go to the installation thing it sends be to 10.04 version, still dont get it... And even on that one they dont say how/if you can keep your files, They say to do a backup, how should I do that, I dont have the stuff to do it, thats why I have to keep my files, I have a 600G hard drive, that would be a LOT of dvd burning... Maybe I'm plain stupid but like I said I know NOTHING about this stuff... Just need a simple and clear explaination... I've read a lot of faqs and stuff, If I had understand them I wouldnt come ask here for help.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

get an external drive and back up your files. that is the only way to not lose your files.....

then do a clean install of 10.04.

Beans

You kidding me right ? I dont have any money to spend on that !

And even if I would I just said it works like **** I wouldnt reinstall it, never ever, I want the 9.10 back, THAT worked.
    Last edited by NezumiStarrdust; June 19th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Burn your backup to DVD or CD.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can backup your files to another partition
    Linux Fan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you move your "Home" folder to a separate partition, as described here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

you will be able to then reinstall Karmic by formatting ONLY the root partition, leaving the /home partition as it is, and that will retain all of your data on the /home partition.

You MUST NOT use the "Guided" partitioning at install, you MUST use the manual partitioning option, and ensure that the /home partition is not formatted.
    "Strive to be the person your dog thinks you are"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by NezumiStarrdust View Post
    You kidding me right ? I dont have any money to spend on that !

And even if I would I just said it works like **** I wouldnt reinstall it, never ever, I want the 9.10 back, THAT worked.
    because you did an upgrade. Often upgrades can have bad results.

If you don't want to spend money to do a backup, then I would never upgrade or downgrade anything. In fact you may not want to turn on your computer ever. You could lose your files.

How much data do you need to backup? USB drives aren't that expensive anymore.

Beans

All you need are your documents, pictures, music, etc. That should easily fit on one or two dvds. You don't need to back up all your appications, simply reinstall them after you do the downgrade. You could also use Ubuntuone and back it up online.
    External drives can be pretty cheap, especially if you have an old unused hard drive laying around like I did. I bought an enclosure for it on ebay for $4 which transformed my old hard drive into an external.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast