Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there an icon in the top tray when entering dok?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why isn't there an icon in the top tray when entering dok?

I just noticed that the only way to safely remove dok is by right clicking it in my computer isn't there an icon for that or there is and for some reason he doesn't work now?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why isn't there an icon in the top tray when entering dok?

Try to explain your question a little bit better. I have no idea what you mean...
    What is "dok"?
    When you say "safely remove" I get the idea that you want to unmount and power off an USB device or an external hard drive, is that what you try to say?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Why isn't there an icon in the top tray when entering disk on key?

Dok is an anachronism for disk on key and yes this is what i mean.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Still don't see what your problem is. As far as I know, the way to safely remove an usb drive has always been to right-click it's icon on the desktop or in nautilus. There has never been any special tray icon like in windows.

Beans
    Distro

But i disabled the option to show mounted devices on desktop because of this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/404363

Every time i restart i need to do clean by name because the mounted drives disappear and basically it's not comfortable to to do it all the time.

So now i need to go to my computer in order to remove it safely and any case it would great if an icon like this would be added like the bluetooth icon and etc don't you think so?

Beans

No, they are trying to clean up that whole indicator section which already has too much in it.

I usually have nautilus open on desktop by it self for these jobs with the side bar shown. This shows all mounted devices right there so I have my entire fs open for use at all times and just need to chnge to the second desktop to get anything I want. You could do the same with "my computer" (had to look at your post to check the name - it is edited out of my menu - I don't use it at all).
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aviramof View Post
    But i disabled the option to show mounted devices on desktop because of this bug:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/404363

Every time i restart i need to do clean by name because the mounted drives disappear and basically it's not comfortable to to do it all the time.

So now i need to go to my computer in order to remove it safely and any case it would great if an icon like this would be added like the bluetooth icon and etc don't you think so?
    right click the gnome-panel -> add to panel -> disk mounter.
    see if this is a good alternative for you.
    "Computers are like air conditioners, when you open WINDOW$ they stop working."
    Όσο ζώ μαθαίνω ...
    If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
    Linus Torvalds

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gourgi View Post
    right click the gnome-panel -> add to panel -> disk mounter.
    see if this is a good alternative for you.
    Unfortunately you can't add anything to the panel.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Unfortunately you can't add anything to the panel.
    why not
    there should be such an option in your gnome-panel if you right-click an empty area on it.
    "Computers are like air conditioners, when you open WINDOW$ they stop working."
    Όσο ζώ μαθαίνω ...
    If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
    Linus Torvalds

Beans

Works for me. I do not have disk mounter because everything mounts fine and I have no problem with the current unmount arrangements. Should work though. Hadn't thought about it.

I use it in Debian.

If you have a problem adding to your panels I would check the bugs and join one if there or file one if it is not there.

We are not here to have this OS work. We are here to see what doesn't work and file bugs. That is really our only purpose.

Having FUN and getting it to work are just entertainment. It is the devs job to get it to work on as much hardware as possible. They can't do this with out bug reports.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast