Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nautilus using lots of memory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Nautilus using lots of memory

Quote Originally Posted by evyavan View Post
    Am using a Dell machine with Lucid LTS installed and now suffering from Nautilus as its taking too much memory. I have 2GB of RAM and 3GB of SWAP. But when I try to open a folder with more than a 1000 files [pictures and sub-folders] Nautilus takes around 1 minute to fully load the files and am left to sit looking at the monitor. When I checked with System Monitor, I saw Nautilus is using around 95% of the RAM and about a half of my SWAP space is used! Any tips to get rid of this problem?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=14

Beans

Hey If you are running a certain program like clam antivirus, then that could be causing the problem. I have 2 gb of ram and before i installed clam, my system never used to exceed 500 mb of ram usage, even with multiple programs running. However, after my first scan with Clam AV, the usage just increased way up to 900 mb during the scan and about 650 after the scan finished. Nautilus was using up a massive amount. So, i decided to remove clam and so i went to the software center and removed virus scanner but still i realized that nautilus was using 200 mb of ram. thats not at all usual. I finally went to the synaptic package manager and searched for "clam" and found that there was still some applications related to clam installed . I removed all software associated with clam and when i restarted my computer, my system ram usage was at 350mb and nautilus at only 7 mb. So you should check for problems like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sj005 View Post
    Hey If you are running a certain program like clam antivirus, then that could be causing the problem. I have 2 gb of ram and before i installed clam, my system never used to exceed 500 mb of ram usage, even with multiple programs running. However, after my first scan with Clam AV, the usage just increased way up to 900 mb during the scan and about 650 after the scan finished. Nautilus was using up a massive amount. So, i decided to remove clam and so i went to the software center and removed virus scanner but still i realized that nautilus was using 200 mb of ram. thats not at all usual. I finally went to the synaptic package manager and searched for "clam" and found that there was still some applications related to clam installed . I removed all software associated with clam and when i restarted my computer, my system ram usage was at 350mb and nautilus at only 7 mb. So you should check for problems like this.
    Interesting...

Beans

I'm not using ClamAV or anything like that. The only thing I can think of that might have something to do with it is Dropbox, but I had problems even when I disabled it.

Beans

@zorblek: Just to check, look in your synaptic package manager for "nautilus-clamscan" package and see if it's installed.. Also, you might want to check to see if "nautilus-dropbox" is installed as well. If so, remove it and see if it's the cause of the major RAM increase. And you would need to clear out some dropbox cache (it's located in $HOME/.dropbox/cache) so remove the folders/files in there (but leave the cache folder intact)

Beans

I checked, and nautilus-clamscan was not installed. I removed nautilus-dropbox and the cache files as instructed, but I'm still having the same problem, unfortunately.

Beans

Arrow Re: Nautilus using lots of memory

I had this same problem and it was driving me nuts for about 2 weeks...I found the solution to my problem here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/669594

After I read that post, I realized that Nautilus started lagging and chewing up RAM, when I was copying files from my external hard drive to my cpu. I must have interrupted Nautilus while it was copying...and ever since it has been trying to complete that action...even after rebooting and reinstalling Nautilus & removing all add on's. Hopefully these steps will help other "Newbies" like myself!

1. SYSTEM >>> ADMINISTRATION >>> SYSTEM MONITOR

2. Click on "Processes" & right click on "Nautilus", click on "Memory Maps" and click on the column that says "VM Size" (this will sort the column so you can see what specific folder or file is hogging up the memory). There is nothing else you can do here, but you can leave it open so you can remember the file location!

3. (OPTIONAL) If your computer is lagging due to Nautilus chewing memory, open a terminal and type in "nautilus -q"...that will quit & restart Nautilus.

4. Open "Nautilus" and navigate to the folder or file that was chewing up all of the memory and delete it!

I hope this helps someone out. After I found the folder that was causing trouble & deleted it....my Ubuntu Studio 10.10 is running FLAWLESSLY!
    Last edited by Eskobar; January 11th, 2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Posted wrong link

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123