Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus using lots of memory

Beans

Question Nautilus using lots of memory

Ever since upgrading from Karmic to Lucid, Nautilus is using a lot of memory. I've got only got a gig of RAM, but Nautilus is always taking up at least 10%, even if there are no Nautilus windows open, and often it's a lot more. If I kill the process it just comes back, using just as much memory (if not more). I don't recall it doing this before I upgraded. Is this normal?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Nautilus using lots of memory

I haven't noticed much problems on my system. Nautilius uses 5mb of ram for me. How much exactly for you. Is this after using it a while, or from a clean boot?

Have you tried changing priority?

Beans

It's currently using 204M (I think the 10% figure includes the additional gig of virtual memory). And this is from a clean boot.

I don't think anything's been done to the priority, so it should be whatever the default is. I'm not sure how to check.

Beans

What's the size of your swap file? Have you tried increasing or decreasing it? The issue might be there.

Beans

I have 1076M of total swap; it's actually in a couple of files if that matters (I added some a while before I upgraded). I don't recall what the individual file sizes are and I'm not sure how to check.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ideally swap should be at double the size of your installed ram and in one single file.
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.

Beans

Ideally, yes. This laptop has a small hard drive, so I haven't increased the swap further.

Would the amount of swap affect the amount of RAM Nautilus uses, or does it just matter because of the total amount of memory available?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

204 ram is standard your worrying about nothing, relax and use the computer. Here is my system monitor with FF open on the UF.
    Attachment 161067
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; June 28th, 2010 at 08:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi everybody! I've been using Ubuntu for quite a while now, and am having the same issue. Nautilus is using about 180 MB of RAM on my machine. This was not normal for other releases of Ubuntu, and I doubt the amount of swap has anything to do with this.

On Hardy, I would have a typical system-wide RAM usage of ~800MB. I am currently using ~1 GB. My #1 user of RAM is Nautilus. This cannot be normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Zorblek: Have you tried to access any Samba shares in Nautilus recently?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast