Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery mode should work only with xserver and xorg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Recovery mode should work only with xserver and xorg

When i was using fglrx both in maverick and in lucid recovery mode was not working all all i got was a bright blue line at the top of the screen.
    Now with xserver it's working not without errors and black parts but it works so i thought maybe it would be a good idea that no matter what
    recovery mode should use xserver and xorg just like windows safe mode so what do you think of this idea?
    Last edited by aviramof; June 18th, 2010 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Recovery mode should work only with xserver and xorg

Recovey mode works before the xserver starts, if you have broken graphics, having the xserver start for recovery mode isn't going to work very well

Beans
    Distro

I don't understand it do you say that if i have a problem with fglrx for instance i can't use recovery mode to try and fix it?

That doesn't sound too good for me.

And i had problems with fglrx in the past that forced me to reinstall ubuntu because he would not boot up properly.

So i'm hopping that you would try to think of a solution to this problem that i mentioned here.

Beans

You will find that all the folks on the forums here are users, not developers.

The users here on the forums are donating their time and effort to help people. Making demands in such a cranky manner as you use is not going to get you anywhere.

This thread, for instance, shows that you have not done any research before making a suggestion on changing the entire OS. Then, when someone points this out, you become abusive.

There is no reason for anyone here to think of a fix for your problem which you have not defined in any coherent manner.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

What coherent manner? it doesn't work plain and simple all i get is a blue line at the top of the screen and that it it doesn't go from there but it only happen if i use fglrx.

Beans

So use the OSS driver.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From the title of your question, it looks like you are suggesting that recovery mode should start with a graphical interface, not the command line.

Beans

(1) Coherent manner refers to the many issues of spelling/grammar that litter your post. I imagine it trips up people who do not have the same perception of English as you have (garbled phrases may not be as easy to read for other people), and it may even annoy some in particular since your posts tend to be brief to the point of being curt.
    (2) Recovery mode is, essentially, booting to a root shell (maintenance shell). The rest is merely commands executed in such an environment. This is necessary because just about every single thing that can recover a (truly) broken system requires root privileges anyway, and quite a few cannot run in an X environment.
    (3) Fglrx features a setup script/X-configuration script. Ordinarily, you would run that as root, before you bring up any X servers if you attempt to recover a broken fglrx installation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    So use the OSS driver.
    What is that driver?

And let me explain my self again,there were times in the past that i had problems with fglrx driver so ubuntu didn't boot properly to gnome and when
    i tried to fix it with recovery mode i was unable to enter the blue screen or command line or anything all i got was a blue line at the top of the screen and that it.

And just because of problems with fglrx i was forced to reinstall ubuntu.

So what i'm saying is that the recovery mode should behave like xp/7 safe mode in 256 colors with a basic default driver so no matter what i would still be able to enter it even if
    gnome don't want to boot properly becuase of fglrx problems.

I hope that i'm more clear now.

Beans

So what i'm saying is that the recovery mode should behave like xp/7 safe mode in 256 colors with a basic default driver so no matter what i would still be able to enter it even if
    gnome don't want to boot properly becuase of fglrx problems.
    That is basically what recovery menu -> failsafe x is.
    If you can't enter the recovery menu then that may be from some 'self inflicted' cause(s) or something that occasionally could happen...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast