Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice Open/Save extrmely slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: OpenOffice Open/Save extrmely slow

Quote Originally Posted by rohitece06 View Post
    Ok, so I am using OOO-3.2 Kubuntu 10.04 but I did not install openoffice.org-kde package but I did install openoffice.org-gtk. Document opening and saving etc was OK but during drawing Xorg was gorging over my CPU. So I thought its probably because of lack of kde customizations i.e. openoffice.org-kde. So I installed it and then the problem of slow opening, save-as-ing, exporting (anything with dialog box) appeared. While exporting a doc the OOO assistant complained that I dont have openoffice help installed. From this forum I got that this slow down problem is some sort of network or database problem. I thought OOO might be looking for the help. So I installed the help files openoffice.org-help-en-us and voila slow down problem gone although Xorg stills shoots up when I do any drawing related movement but I guess we have a resolution on the slow down issue. Please do let all know if it works for you.
    Where can I download it? I downloaded it from the Software Centre, but Writer tells me I still need to download it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi all, I have the same issue since one and half year at least, from Kubuntu 9.04 if I'm not wrong. I stick with Ubuntu only because I like it, I support it, and the issue is random, so luckily it doesn't happen everytime. But productivity sucks a lot. It takes almost 20 seconds to do a save/opening, and every click I do (for example to browse into a sub-folder) takes the same.
    Currently I use Kubuntu 10.04 64bit and the same issue appears on two different laptops. No fix found. I tried disabling java but nothing.
    I hope that someone is able to find a definitive fix....this is really sad.
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Similar behaviour here; OOO is very slow to open files, eg to insert a picture from file. It takes 10 to 15 seconds just to refresh the directory listing in the open file dialog.
    Running OOO 3.2 on Kubuntu 10.04 64 bit. Software off the repositories, no special tweaks. The previous version of OOO & Kubuntu ran fine on this hardware.

But shutting down OOO and restarting it seems to fix the problem. (?)
    Last edited by jynyl; July 24th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I too had the same problem and seemed to have solved it by changing the path for files as I use a 2nd HD for storing all my Data I pointed Ooo to the appropriate folder for My Documents, on that drive and now files load and save instantly!! Incedently I also changed the back up folder to my Data drive

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tombgeek View Post
    Also, on there was some letter from a user. This guy experienced the exact same issues.
    But it is in Dutch, so you guys might not understand.
    http://nl.openoffice.org/servlets/Re...rs&msgNo=10601

Seems the problem is with etc/hosts file

I don't know, what do you guys think?
    That solution works for me. I added this to my /etc/hosts file
    Code:
    127.0.0.1    hostname localhost hostname.(none)
    Replace hostname with your hostname. (If you don't know what your hostname is you can enter 'hostname' in a terminal)

I did some packet sniffing and found out OO does a DNS query on "hostname.(none)" for some reason. This host does not exists so it times out. By adding this line to your hosts file your basically saying that "hostname.(none)" is your own machine so a DNS query isn't necessary.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus_the_virus View Post
    Code:
    Replace hostname with your hostname. (If you don't know what your hostname is you can enter 'hostname' in a terminal)

I did some packet sniffing and found out OO does a DNS query on "hostname.(none)" for some reason. This host does not exists so it times out. By adding this line to your hosts file your basically saying that "hostname.(none)" is your own machine so a DNS query isn't necessary.
    Is that even safe? Won't it affect other system or application software?
    Last edited by Tombgeek; July 29th, 2010 at 06:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus_the_virus View Post
    Code:

Yes, it worked for me as well. At first, I left out the ".(none)", but after adding that it worked. Thanks a lot for this fix!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishWings View Post
    Yes, it worked for me as well. At first, I left out the ".(none)", but after adding that it worked. Thanks a lot for this fix!
    How do I change it?

Ubuntu won't allow me to change the file, even though I am the computer's administrator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Tombgeek View Post
    How do I change it?

Ubuntu won't allow me to change the file, even though I am the computer's administrator.
    Try this:

Open Applications->Accessories->Terminal

and at the terminal enter

sudo gedit /etc/hosts

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SwedishWings; August 4th, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishWings View Post
    Try this:

and at the terminal enter
    sudo gedit /etc/hosts
    Hope this helps.

You're my new best friend

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It's working!!!!!!!

Okay, so just a summery on the solution.

Then type

sudo gedit /etc/hosts
    Then edit the file so it looks like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 hostname
    127.0.0.1 hostname localhost hostname.(none)

I actually feel so stupid that I did not try to read that letter in dutch, because I know a bit of Afrikaans. *facepalm*

"Het resultaat is waanzinnig goed! Ik ben blij."
    <sigh>
    I confuse myself as to why I do certain things.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast