Thread: Best USB Powered Cooling Pad for Pangolin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Best USB Powered Cooling Pad/Riser for Pangolin?

I own a 15.4" Pangolin Performance and am looking for the most reliable and durable USB-powered laptop cooling pad and/or riser. Can anyone here recommend one that will accommodate my laptop?

Update: Can anyone here tell me if this would meet my needs for the Pangolin?

Logitech Alto Connect Notebook Stand
    Last edited by Groucho Marxist; June 17th, 2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Needed to add a question
    Linux systems are like LEGOs :
    they are infinitely customizable
    and limited only by a user's imagination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best USB Powered Cooling Pad for Pangolin?

This cooling stand seems to have gotten favorable reviews. Your Pangolin should fit into it, though I havent seen one in person.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Best USB Powered Cooling Pad/Riser for Pangolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marxist View Post
    I own a 15.4" Pangolin Performance and am looking for the most reliable and durable USB-powered laptop cooling pad and/or riser. Can anyone here recommend one that will accommodate my laptop?

Update: Can anyone here tell me if this would meet my needs for the Pangolin?

Logitech Alto Connect Notebook Stand
    Actually, I did a lot of research and landed on this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

although I haven't used it yet (it's a Father's Day present) and in the meantime have been using a simple block of wood to slightly elevate the back of the computer, and that has worked fine (though not so elegant). Mine, a quad-core P7, never gets hot - I have a little utility that reports the temp - but the fan runs a little and I thought the pad would minimize that. So the one you linked to would probably work great too.

Good luck, report back on what you get and how it does!

(Edit) - Well, Father's Day came and I'm now using the Logitech linked to above. I like it - it fits the Pangolin well, it's pretty quiet (though you can hear it, but it's quieter than the laptop fan) and the laptop fan has only come on once since I started using the cooling pad.

Processor temp has dropped a couple of degrees in normal use but the big change is that the laptop fan virtually never comes on any more, which I infer means that internal temps are cooler, therefore heat stress to the computer has been lessened. It didn't get hot before, but I figure cooler is better. So I'd recommend this one.

There are probably other good ones as well, but I think for use with the Pangolin - where heat is not a big issue to begin with - that getting one with multiple fans would only suck more power and make more noise. And the Logitech quite good-looking, simple and elegant - I don't mind looking at it every day. It got good reviews on several sites, and I have to say that initial impressions bear them out.

Again, good luck and let us know what you get in the end and how it works!
    Last edited by re1d; June 22nd, 2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: More information
    System76 Ratel, Ubuntu 16.04; Thinkpad T420, UbuntuMATE 16.04; MacBook dual-booting UbuntuMATE 16.04; various other laptops/desktops with Ubuntu, Mint & Puppy. . . Long Live Linux!