Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO - Install XMMS on Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy XMMS eSound plugin and volume jumps

I use 10.04 AMD64. I have installed XMMS from the http://ppa.launchpad.net/ibid-ag/oldgtk1/ubuntu repository, but it also does the below when I compile it from source. I use the eSound plugin for pulseaudio.

At seemingly random times the volume suddenly plays at 100% regardless of the XMMS volume shown. When it does this, the volume slider in XMMS will not change. By stopping and restarting the track the volume will resume at the shown level.

The application specific listing of volumes in System->Preferences->'Sound Preferences'->Applications gives a hint. Normally the XMMS application volume slider controls the 'xmms - plugin (pid-instance#)' volume slider in 'Sound Preferences'->Applications.

After each track played a new instance of the plugin will be made and the old will disapear (screenshot taken before this happens so both are shown). The instance number shown will increment +1. Normally this new instance to pulseaudio will inherit the sound level from the previous one. The volume will not change.

But occasionally the new instance *will not* inherit the volume settings and stays at 100% until either the XMMS track playing is stopped and restarted, the next track starts, or sometimes (but not always) when the volume slider in XMMS is touched. The instance still only increments by +1.

These jumps from, say, 40% volume to 100% volume are very annoying for me and my neighbors 2:00 in the morning. It also tends to wake me up if I attempt to play quiet music while I sleep. I am at a loss on how to further diagnose the issue with esound plugin instances not inheriting volume level.

ALSA is not an option. When I try to use the ALSA plugin it fails to load the next playlist entry at the end of each song (also reported by others) This is unusable and is new to 10.04 vs 8.04. But I digress...

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it even an XMMS issue, or a more general pulseaudio/ubuntu implementation problem? Perhaps there is there a known solution, or a series of keywords with which to search for more hints? Anything would be appreciated.

Code:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a002
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    	Memory at fa200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    	Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
    	Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    	Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
    	Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
    	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

superkuh@limbo:~$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    Last edited by Superkuh; June 28th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12