Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get Linux Mint's new back up tool?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Can I get Linux Mint's new back up tool?

I was reading through the list of features for the new Linux Mint release and I found something that I have been looking for on Ubuntu for a while... The New Backup tool.

Is there anyway I can get this on Ubuntu? I mean after all, Linux Mint is built on Ubuntu.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I get Linux Mint's new back up tool?

Just install it, get its name and google it
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's listed in their software portal but it is not available for Ubuntu. Like many other cool Mint stuff, it has a .mint filename extension that will only install on a Mint system.

Just another one of the ways that Mint "gives back" to the people who did most (almost all, actually) of the work that has gone into Mint, which is more accurately termed an Ubuntu remix than a "distro." In my opinion anyway.

There are plenty of other backup alternatives that are every bit as easy to use (Google it!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post
    It's listed in their software portal but it is not available for Ubuntu. Like many other cool Mint stuff, it has a .mint filename extension that will only install on a Mint system.
    Wait a minute. I can't believe you just wrote that in a casual sentence. With all due respect, what is wrong with you!?

Wasn't the point of me switching over to Linux to not be restricted by what I can and can't install based on what distro (or remix IYO) I'm running?

How do you expect more people to take up an opensource perspective on technology if it is clearly evident that the things that everyone is preaching makes opensource so great (such as cross platform apps (without building the app from the source again)) is fairly inconsistent between distributions.

The fragmentation and attitudes of some of the distributions in the Linux community disgusts me.

I do agree though, Linux Mint is indeed a very cool, useful, and interesting distro; as are many others, but come oonn...

I thought I got away from all that when I left windows.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can, but it also needs some dependencies.

The 1'st files you get from here - and their called:

Mintbackup (this is the backup tool)

mint-info-main or mint-info-x64 (if you're on 64 bit)
    mintsystem
    mintmenu
    mint-common
    mint-translations

...and the last fortunes-husse

Just download the latest packages (check build/date) and install them as Deb files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    You can, but it also needs some dependencies.

The 1'st files you get from here - and their called:

Mintbackup (this is the backup tool)

mint-info-main or mint-info-x64 (if you're on 64 bit)
    mintsystem
    mintmenu
    mint-common
    mint-translations

...and the last fortunes-husse

Just download the latest packages (check build/date) and install them as Deb files.
    Will do, hopefully it shall work.

Thanks.
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@XSAlliN
    Works! Thanks for tip

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wasn't the point of me switching over to Linux to not be restricted by what I can and can't install based on what distro (or remix IYO) I'm running?

How do you expect more people to take up an opensource perspective on technology if it is clearly evident that the things that everyone is preaching makes opensource so great (such as cross platform apps (without building the app from the source again)) is fairly inconsistent between distributions.

The fragmentation and attitudes of some of the distributions in the Linux community disgusts me.

I do agree though, Linux Mint is indeed a very cool, useful, and interesting distro; as are many others, but come oonn...

I thought I got away from all that when I left windows.
    No, That's not how it is...

Windows is just 1 distribution.

Linux is just the kernel (an Open Source kernel), on which hundreds (100+) of Distributions are made. Some based on source, some on RPM, some on Debian or other distributions (like Ubuntu - > Mint in this case).

For most applications, especially the major ones there is a workaround if not a direct solution to install it on another distributions. But you can't expect even their features to work in same way.

In this specific case works (mint-backup), cause the tool + dependencies are developed in Deb and there's also the repository option (mint being based on deb/ubuntu). But don't expect AUR to work in Ubuntu, or even Mac application (since some of Windows work with Wine).

As for "open source" perspective, as the name implies - it's related to the freedom of "open source" - as in, "you can take any OSS and use it, enhance it and modify it to your will". Which is not possible with closed source applications, like most in Windows or Mac (including the OS's), where you take the software "AS IT IS".

Ubuntu being the most popular linux distribution, has many priorities in terms of software development. But, you can't say the same thing about the rest - and not that there isn't will but there is no way to make a software, custom build for all linux distribution - not even for the major ones. Yet most get the source or the rpm package and they can go from that (especially the distributions aimed for advanced users which are not dependent of Windows approach "Click and Install" ...).

Quote Originally Posted by alexandrius View Post
    @XSAlliN
    Works! Thanks for tip
    No problem.
    Last edited by XSAlliN; June 17th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This tool may have some decent option, but since it's intended for Linux Mint - the only way to get it work is by faking your Ubuntu credentials to display Mint. Just noticed this after rebooting. My Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was now displayed as Linux Mint 9 Isadora and same goes for all system info. Unfortunately this info is vital for certain components in Ubuntu like "Ubuntu Software Center" and software-proprieties-gtk (software sources) and not GUI related but also functionality.

For me was just a test, to see what's up whit that and then I removed it (dependencies as well). Of course, the problems remains so had to fix those as well. I did that by editing the following lines (this is for Lucid only DOH ):

gksu gedit /etc/issue

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS \n \l

gksu gedit /etc/issue.net

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

gksu gedit /etc/lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=”Ubuntu 10.04 LTS”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast