Thread: NAS set up

Beans

NAS set up

I am looking for cheap and simple way to attach 2 250 gig hd to a home network via router . NAS , as an idea looks good , but that is a problem too. There is so much hardware out there that iam overwhelmed , so i would like to hear what worked for you folks and what did not . Did i mentioned it needs to be simple .
    And no netgear sc101 , please , i was given one only to learn what a nightmare it is for those of us who do not have win boxes around anymore

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: NAS set up

I just threw together a simple Pentium dual core machine and added a RAID card. You can do the same thing except add those two 250GB drives hooked up to the mobo, instead of doing RAID.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I was thinking about that , but if possible i would like not to have whole another pc running .

Beans

Here's a possibility: http://www.simpletech.com/products/s.../simplenet.php. A google search for "NAS adapter" will return several other, similar products. I haven't used any of the gadgets, so I can't comment on how well they would satisfy your need. If Newegg.com carries any of them, customer reviews there might help you find a good one. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

One word.....
    Freenas, I had mine installed and running in 20 minutes.....

Steve
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6 Ghz 2 Gb ram, Asus P5KPL motherboard, 2.5 TB Storage running Hardy.
    HP Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 756 mb ram running Intrepid.