Thread: How do you get xubuntu to boot with the glint video driver instead of vesa?

Beans

How do you get xubuntu to boot with the glint video driver instead of vesa?

Does anyone know how I can get xubuntu to boot up using the glint video driver instead of vesa? I am trying to get it loaded on an older machine and a previous version of ubuntu worked using the glint driver but the latest version of xubuntu (10.04) is using the vesa driver. Which is not working for me. I have tried ubuntu, xubuntu and lubuntu all version 10.04 and neither of them has worked. They all boot up into a terminal window (no GUI).

I tried creating an xorg.conf file and added a line specifying the glint driver. After doing that and trying to startxfce4 I get an error saying that it cannot load the glint module. Unfortunately that machine has no internet connection either. I guess it hasn't recognized my wireless card either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: How do you get xubuntu to boot with the glint video driver instead of vesa?

Anyone?

I am assuming that the glint driver is included/installed by default. Maybe this is not the case. Can anyone tell me how to install the glint driver if that is required?

Beans

Re: How do you get xubuntu to boot with the glint video driver instead of vesa?

I finally got xubuntu running on this old machine (live, not installed yet). I did not specify any boot options. I let it boot up as normal into the terminal. Then I installed the glint video driver that I downloaded from another machine (copied it to this one via usb drive) using dpkg. Then I had to create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to specify using the glint driver, busid and also a few other things. Then I entered startxfce4 and viola, here I am.

So far I like the desktop but it is still a little slow. I assume I would pick up some speed by actually installing (versus the live version I am running from cd). I think I will play around with this for a few days and then maybe try lubuntu.

Finally!!!!!