Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Beans

Angry Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

I love ubuntu and have used it exclusively for years now. I've long since dropped ******* and don't even have it installed on most computers, just ubuntu. I've held the vision of it being a serious desktop for worldwide use, and believed that the previous bugs would work themselves out over time. Also I bought into the *myth* that linux is stable... a crappy myth because as far as I & MANY OTHERS are concerned, and as painful as it is for me to admit it, ******* even with its' many issues is far more stable and superior to ubuntu.

For heaven's sake PLEASE STOP DEVELOPMENT ON NEW FEATURES AND JUST FOCUS ON FIXING THE MANY EXISTING PROBLEMS!!!

I used to like the idea of ubuntu trying new avantguard ideas in the distros, but now I am sick and tired of them, since they suck up the attention of the developers and thus the bugs that need attention never see the light of day.

Yes, these are my own opinions, however I have seen MANY MANY MANY posts of many other people voicing the same opinions. So please don't blast me for speaking up here - I am just one voice of many.

I can assure you that I couldn't care less about 10.10 release with all the new features promised, like idea-icons (or whatever they're called). I actually have zero intention of downloading 10.10.

What I WANT is to see heavy focus on 10.04.X. 10.04 is a nice looking feature rich distro, and for now we really don't need anything more... just STABILITY!!!

Developers, please please please please please forget about new ideas and new features... PLEASE FOCUS exclusively upon fixing existing problems and making things stable.

!!! FREEZE NEW DEVELOPMENT !!!

I've been pushing ubuntu on all my friends for years, and have expected to make 10.04 the release that I would use to convert all my friends. Damn this release!!! I am so unhappy with it, experiencing daily frustrations with it myself, and the few times that I've tried to show my friends how "awesome ubuntu is" I've been left embarrassed, making lame excuses for ubuntu. ****, I am so pisesd that this distro which ought to have been the flagship distro to introduce the world to linux is so damn embarrassing.

1 - FORGET DEVELOPING NEW FEATURES
    2 - FOCUS ON STABILITY
    3 - FORGET ABOUT 10.10
    4 - FOCUS ON STABIITY
    5 - FREEZE NEW IDEAS
    6 - FOCUS ON STABILITY
    7 - JUST FIX EXISTING ISSUES
    Happy-Go-Lucky

Beans

Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Here is just one example of the many pages I've seen about this topic
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24340/
    Happy-Go-Lucky

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I understand what you are saying and i agree for the most part. however, Cannonical can't just fix everyones projects. their job is to select and integrate all the thousands of OSS projects that make up the ubuntu ecosystem, and provide them as a distro.

also, I only know of one ubuntu developer that reads the forums. he is not usually impressed by people telling him what to do. if you want to get their attention, do some work on your end, and file some quality bug reports.

personally i find 10.04 to be one of the best versions since Feisty, and it has alleviated many of the problems i had with Karmic and prior. runs well on every box i've thrown at it.

if you want to use windows, by all means do so, but bringing it up here accomplishes nothing.

not saying your wrong, just that your expectations need some adjustment.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

Hey Canonical...

Think of Ford's motto "quality is job one".

Please (temporarily) adopt the mission of focusing on fixes & stability & forget about innovation.

Mr. Shuttleworth, you are a blessing to the world, with all you have done with Ubuntu. However please put your visionary ideas on hold until developers have the chance to catch up with finishing the projects that have already been started... meaning that until it WORKS the project isn't done. If it ain't stable it ain't done.

Ubuntu's new motto "Stability is job one"
    ((("innovation is job two")))
    Happy-Go-Lucky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I haven't found any of those major bugs on any of my 3 installs.

As usual I find some minor bugs, but I am also seeing them fixed.

And so much has been done, and is being done, that I don't see any reason for your rant.

When I started using ubuntu 4 years ago, half of the SW in the repos wouldn't install or run, I had to restart pulseaudio several times per session, the default orange-brown theme made me puke, boot times where huge, no entertainment SW whatsoever, flash didn't work almost at all...

This is all been fixed, bit by bit.
    And while fixing things around, Ubuntu has managed to keep me around, with a very smart release system.

Way to go Ubuntu

Don't kill development to fix bugs of a release that is already out!! keep working on the next one, and I as most Ubuntu users will upgrade ASAP as I have done during there 4 years
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    ... also, I only know of one ubuntu developer that reads the forums. he is not usually impressed by people telling him what to do.
    Arrogant suckers, aren't they!!!!!

Maybe they should come out of their dark dungeons and have a look around once in a while.

Jerry

Beans

If you sincerely care, file bug reports with the respective projects. Be it Ubuntu, or upstream projects. Getting bent out of shape and posting on forums won't change anything. If you're not sure where to file a bug report then we can probably help you out with that. Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@luckylucky: who are you writing to? The devs don't come here for advice. That's 5 minutes you'll never get back.

Who do you want it to be stable for, you or me? 12 installs later, and I see no stability issues. If it wasn't stable, no one would use it, right?

I think I'm going to update my ignore list, as these types of posts are getting old. If people don't buy compatible hardware, then I don't feel sorry for them. Goodbye.

Moved to recurring discussions. Nothing new about ending the 6 month cycle.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It isn't really fair to say that "Linux is unstable" when it's really just the latest Ubuntu that isn't quite stable until a few weeks or months into its life.

If you are looking for absolute rock-stability, try Debian Lenny (or a distro built on Debian Lenny, like Mepis). Ubuntu and it's siblings and offspring are more "up-to-date" and thus a little less stable.

I usually tell Ubuntu users who want more up-to-date stuff without too many stability issues to just stay one release behind the current one, or use one that works for you until it's end-of-life. Or stick with the LTS versions (and wait until Hardy's EOL before switching to Lucid).

But rock-solid, super ultra mega stable? Debian Stable. It just doesn't get any more stable than that!

My own experience with Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu has been quite trouble-free, and the li'l issues I've had have all been easily fixed with a few minutes of Googling. Your mileage may vary, of course. If your experience is so frustrating, have a look at Mepis (alot of people find it much easier than Debian) which is built on Debian Stable as Ubuntu is built on Debian Testing (LTS version) and Debian Unstable (non-LTS versions).

Cheerfully,
    Robin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast