Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Beans

Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Please Developers!
    If there are any. I really doubt if there're good devs for Ubuntu. Lets face it -- most opensource devs don't find the distro interesting... it's just a usual shining distro shining a bit brighter.

So you should try Sabayon. Although there are a handful of devs and has a small community, all of them are pretty good at what they do and a single dev was good enough to make a package manager better than apt within a matter of a few years as compared to more than 20.

Since these devs are really very mature, they don't care much about what's bundled by default so you might have to do a bit fine tuning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dE_logics View Post
    If there are any. I really doubt if there're good devs for Ubuntu. Lets face it -- most opensource devs don't find the distro interesting... it's just a usual shining distro shining a bit brighter.

So you should try Sabayon. Although there are a handful of devs and has a small community, all of them are pretty good at what they do and a single dev was good enough to make a package manager better than apt within a matter of a few years as compared to more than 20.

Since these devs are really very mature, they don't care much about what's bundled by default so you might have to do a bit fine tuning.
    Lots of Sabayon evangelism today huh?

Lol I don't mean anything by it man, but I seem to run into you every thread I read now.

Beans

Lol I don't mean anything by it man, but I seem to run into you every thread I read now.
    This forum is getting worst day by day man....

More stupid questions each day, and more weired bugs.. which're no where to be found. Take the desktop for e.g. Now it starts 40 secs late and you gotta four click on the partitions to open them (first time).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Please Developers! Forget about New & FOCUS ON FIXES!!!!

Heh! This is fun....

We have had pretty good results with Ubuntu for a while now - since playing with Breezy and installing Dapper - but I do not expect my friends to be perfect, never mind the main distro we use for 'production'. Asking Granny to help with the heavy lifting is unwise, so why not pick your releases and distros with equal care?

Came here from SuSE, after getting into our own private dependency hell with nVidia driver conflicts..... Sure SuSE is much better now, but I still have the scars.

Very tempted by the OpenSuSE Edu_Li_f_e live releases.

The Acer 4315 that we used all the time for a couple of years came with Ubuntu 7.10 installed, I think. All sorts of stuff did not work despite (because of?) Acer doing their own installation - it was clearly a rushed job.

No OpenGL, no reboot available, no wireless key, and slow to boot. We posted bugs, and gradually things got better.
    Showing the Acer to the dealer who sold it - with spinny cube desktop on Intel graphics powered by a Celeron was priceless! He booted one up with Vista and..... well, you can imagine.

When there were major Ubuntu overhauls - like the speedy booting that really worked - sometimes there were flaky bits. But we have hung in despite having to go to Xubuntu for 9.04 whilst the Ubuntu install flaky was sorted out. Did not take that long, by MS standards. Always kept a production installation or three with either an LTS or a more recent release that worked well on a given machine. That's what live CDs are for. Testing.

Meanwhile we have had big fun with many other distros - Mint is good, am a big fan of Mint 8 Fluxbox, which is on my friend's Compaq and burns a mere 80MB of RAM despite Wbar, Conky and widgets on the desktop. Yeah, I have trouble believing it too...

Puppy is just great! Yes, it is quirky, but you have to admire a guy who can release so many fully-formed distros so fast - like latest releases Quirky (!) and (Lucid Lynx based) Lupu.

No mention of Live distros is complete without Knoppix - deep respect to Klaus for his wonderful, wonderful releases.

Equally Sabayon is gorgeous, although we cannot get on with that weird boxed-in menu on KDE4. Tried Sabayon for 'production' but had some strange things happen after updating, or attempting to, and reverted to Ubuntu.

Have done a Lubuntu installation that looks good on my neighbour's ancient Athlon - gonna have a play with that myself too.

Could go on - after decades of wrestling with MS products since pre-PC days (remember EditASM? Heh! DJNZ...) I am at last able to have a few systems of my own that just work, and loads more for our family that do not have to be defragged, virus purged, re-installed or otherwise made good every time we visit. I get to chat with my family for a change! Woo!

So....

My point is that we all really like Ubuntu, pretty much as it is!

Profound gratitude to the Ubuntu Devs! Thank you!

Just keep up the good work, and ignore the heckling.

All th'best, from Ben and his extended family
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by luckylucky View Post
    I've been pushing ubuntu on all my friends for years, and have expected to make 10.04 the release that I would use to convert all my friends.
    Why convert your friends? Just let them have whatever os they prefer. But, if you're going to convert them anyway, maybe 9.04 would be a good one to convert them with. Boot screen looks nice. Printer + lots of other things work. On every computer I installed it, I did not have to struggle with wireless drivers. It's still supported until October 2010.

Beans

Yeah good luck with that. The ubuntu devs never care..

Beans

Well this was an interesting read. From the mindset of a person who uses a computer but doesn't really do any development work, 2 weeks ago I got so frustrated with my Vista continually trying to pull updates off the network on my home PC I was going to fix it with a hammer. Friend from work pointed me to Ubuntu.

Get this, I was so torqued I didn't even try it off the boot disk or a partition. I wiped the whole load of Vista off my hard drive and jumped in feet first.

Played with it that first Sat and Sun to get familiar with it. Then let the kids have it.

Played a bit more last Saturday.

Now today? Happy as a clam. It just works. Nice to have a computer that works when I want it to. Kids haven't done anything to force me into the unwanted role of Home Network Administrator.

And no, I am not just letting them browse the net. Set up a wireless network while I was at it (first for me). Used Samba and the work laptop (running Windows XP because I have to) can see my home Linux network and print to my printer.

WINE is a bit of a struggle yet, but I'll get there....

The secret? Take some time to read the forums. It isn't going to do everything for you. But if you take some time to read instead of expecting everything to be spoon fed, it works great. I'll never boot Windows again unless it's at gunpoint...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by MCVenom View Post
    Glad you like it here!
    Please don't say '*******'

Usually you need one Windows computer for those special tasks, so It's okay if you still use it a bit
    Many of us hope so.
    They usually will. If you see something not getting fixed, report it. If still nothing is happening, code it yourself or see if you can prod someone into coding a patch for the bug or issue. That's the beauty of open source.
    Because major companies use Linux because it's sooo unstable.
    Ubuntu != Linux. Also, you really shouldn't try speak for everyone's experience, it's irritating. On that same coin I could say that Windows is so slow as to be unusable, when in reality it's just my old laptop running Vista.
    It's been pointed out that the devs rarely, if at all come here. I don't know why, but they don't.
    Reminds me of this XKCD comic: http://xkcd.com/306/
    I'm glad you acknowledge this.
    People who don't have the issues you're having tend to post about them less, so that's not entirely accurate.
    It would be rude and improper for someone to.
    'I may have these bugs, and I may complain about them, but I'm not going to see if 10.10 fixes them. Then I might actually not be able to complain about anything.'
    'Let's focus all the dev efforts on making Lucid Lynx Debian Stable, so when the next LTS comes around all those new features will be poorly or half-implemented and I can complain once again that Ubuntu is unstable.'
    Once again... The devs don't hang out here...
    Wait what? Are you mad?!
    What issues have you had? Have you reported them?
    And Ubuntu will lag behind Windows, Mac, and other Desktop oriented Linux distros.
    And Ubuntu will become Debian
    AND UBUNTU WILL BECOME DEBIAN
    DEBIAN
    We're working on it. Please help us by reporting some bugs and maybe contributing a patch.
    Also, have you considered Debian?
    yeah baby;]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Man this is great! I'm enjoying watching as a bit of sense is being put into this otherwise ludicrous thread.

Ubuntu isn't Debian Stable and that's one of the main reasons I like it - it's kept fresh, up-to-date and chock full of new features with every release while still having benefit of Debian's HUGE application library and legendary stability.

I've been using Ubuntu since 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog and it is one of the most stable OS's that I've used. It has occasionally become unstable, but almost every time because of some buggy application that I've installed or some modification that I've made. Ubuntu is far more stable than any MS offering and I've used them all since Windows for Workgroups which I think was 3.11 if memory serves.

Long live Ubuntu and I hope the devs keep up the good work! Lovin' it! I don't miss anti-virus or anti-spyware software, BSOD's, annoying nags like Vista's UAC and so on. May free software live forever!

Beans

@luckylucky - you haven't been specific about the things that are frustrating you. Its unfortunate. Iv been using Ubuntu since 8, 9 and now 10.04 I think 10.04 was the best release ever! you know why? it fixed all the wireless problems Iv had to pull my hair around in the previous releases. Its just a breeze to download one extra package (because licensing wont allow putting it in the main distro - remember Ubuntu is free)

I use ubuntu for home desktop use and am veryvery happy. i dont like to play home network admin. Dont have a win machine in my home for 2 years now. Iv converted over 8 machines and no issues.
    Im in no hurry to try out 10.10 - because I am in no hurry. dont need it yet. nothing I need is not in 10.04. thats all.
    Last edited by ajaychebbi; December 3rd, 2010 at 09:58 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast