Thread: A problem with login in...

Hybrid View

Beans

A problem with login in...

After I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my Desktop off my CD, I went ahead and created 3 new Users in the Users and Groups. After those were created, I tried logging off. There, the Screen had the login window, the time/date and the power button. The mouse works, yet cannot click on anything. This happened after logging in for the first time, and booting into Ubuntu.

Any solutions,
    mp3c

EDIT:I re-installed Ubuntu, and the problem persists. Is it that the ISO file I have is corrupt, or that something went wrong while booting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: A problem with login in...

Quote Originally Posted by mp3c View Post
    After I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my Desktop off my CD, I went ahead and created 3 new Users in the Users and Groups. After those were created, I tried logging off. There, the Screen had the login window, the time/date and the power button. The mouse works, yet cannot click on anything. This happened after logging in for the first time, and booting into Ubuntu.

Any solutions,
    mp3c

EDIT:I re-installed Ubuntu, and the problem persists. Is it that the ISO file I have is corrupt, or that something went wrong while booting.
    I did notice a huge lag when you log in as a user, as opposed to administrator. Did you try waiting a couple seconds before clicking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

- Is the problem when logging out, or logging back in again? In the latter case, when at the login screen, try pressing ctrl-alt-F3 (to get into a console), then pressing ctrl-alt-F7 (to switch back to the login screen again). Can you login now?

- Or: press ctrl-alt-F3, and login at the command prompt. Then restart gdm with:

sudo service gdm restart

- Or: press ctrl-alt-F3, and login at the command prompt. First, stop gdm:

sudo service gdm stop

- Then start x (the graphical environment):

startx

- Good luck.
    "Let your roots dig deep into the hot soil... Let our scorching sun and sheeting rain turn your supple beauty into strength. For if our love is to survive, it must grow thorns to pierce the hand of any that would uproot it!"

Beans

Thanks guys:
    I did a Wubi installed and solved it.
    Turns out I burned the disc incorrectly.