Thread: unknown subscription notifcations - malware? how do I track *anything* that pops-up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: unknown subscription notifcations - malware? how do I track *any* pop-ups

Hi the other day I got these really weird notifications in Gnome (see attached). I hadn't done anything that day to make me think there was a relation (eg.: sign up for anything, install any 3rd party scripts, etc).

It happened two times that day, and then I didn't see it happen again. The first time it happened it actually had a random string in the "details" area of the pop-up (where as the image attached shows just a blank "..." field).

Is there some way I can track down all activity/requests that pass through which ever application receives requests for pop-ups?

I do use gwibber, but this didn't quite make any sense.

any thoughts?

[i'm using ubuntu 10.04 with latest updates and 64bit install, on a laptop]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jzacsh; June 23rd, 2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: marked subject "solved"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: unknown subscription notifcations - malware? how do I track *anything* that pops-

here's one of the screenshots that actually has a string of text in it

Beans

Re: unknown subscription notifcations - malware? how do I track *anything* that pops-

thats spam from your chat, you need to go to your chat site(hotmail, yahoo, etc...) & check your settings, make sure there not set to public. hotmail is really bad you'll have to dig, they set all my stuff public, had to go through all the settings.
    it's that social thing at the cost of your privacy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    thats spam from your chat, you need to go to your chat site(hotmail, yahoo, etc...) & check your settings, make sure there not set to public. hotmail is really bad you'll have to dig, they set all my stuff public, had to go through all the settings.
    it's that social thing at the cost of your privacy.
    Yes, thanks! I just figured it out a second ago, I clicked the social-menu-thing [ attached ] and there was a little number sitting there -- the way you get a little line in that menu when someone messages you -- i clicked it, and it was an ICQ subscription request.

I just was playing around and signed up for ICQ the other day -- for giggles... and this is the run around it causes . i'm not giggling.