Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    24

    Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Hi guys I've decided to get rid of ubuntu since I can't get my 5.1 system to work. So here is the drill :
    *I have an Ubuntu installed
    *I also have a flash and an iso image of windows XP

    My question is how do I remove Ubuntu and then install windows xp.
    I also want to divide my drive into C and D if possible .
    Thx in advance
    Last edited by c0brabg; June 15th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    10,516

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    just burn it to cd & install, can't be easier.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Quote Originally Posted by c0brabg View Post
    Hi guys I've decided to get rid of ubuntu since I can't get my 5.1 system to work. So here is the drill :
    *I have an Ubuntu installed
    *I also have a flash and an iso image of windows XP

    My question is how do I remove Ubuntu and then install windows xp.
    I also want to divide my drive into C and D if possible .
    Thx in advance
    If you don't have sata drivers you will probably have to make sure in the bios it is ide for the hard drive.

    The flash can be loaded from a MS environment maybe, I've been able to do it once, a cd is what will be best for installing though, at this point
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; June 15th, 2010 at 08:40 AM.





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    24

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Ok when I tried installing windows (when logged in ubuntu, using wine) it said "No valid system partions were found"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    persia (iran)
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    you can write that iso on a dvd or cd and then set thee boot setup on cd/dvd rom and restart
    then windows setup running and you can creat your drives and install windows
    also you can have windows and ubuntu together!
    why don't you try that!?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Quote Originally Posted by c0brabg View Post
    Ok when I tried installing windows (when logged in ubuntu, using wine) it said "No valid system partions were found"
    You can't install windows from Ubuntu you have to burn the ISO to a cd, and boot it to install, you also want to make sure you have a Ubuntu cd as well even though you may not install it is a great tool for fixing things and pulling stuff out of a unfixable MS to save data.

    Do you understand the bios reference and sata or ide drives? In my last post.

    You could install XP to a virtual in Ubuntu though and run both but you would want at least 2 gigs of ram in a 32bit environment.





  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    24

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    You can't install windows from Ubuntu you have to burn the ISO to a cd, and boot it to install, you also want to make sure you have a Ubuntu cd as well even though you may not install it is a great tool for fixing things and pulling stuff out of a unfixable MS to save data.

    Do you understand the bios reference and sata or ide drives? In my last post.

    You could install XP to a virtual in Ubuntu though and run both but you would want at least 2 gigs of ram in a 32bit environment.
    I know what's bios and what's a sata drive. I just want to delete the ubuntu and only have XP with a C and D drive if possible. I don't have a cd now and that is why I tried installing windows to a usb using Unetbootin (not exactly installing, more like converting) and when I booted it nothing happened.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    598
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Quote Originally Posted by c0brabg View Post
    I know what's bios and what's a sata drive. I just want to delete the ubuntu and only have XP with a C and D drive if possible. I don't have a cd now and that is why I tried installing windows to a usb using Unetbootin (not exactly installing, more like converting) and when I booted it nothing happened.
    I've never had a successful attempt to put Windows on a USB drive before.

    Edit Adding on to wilee-nilee's post about virtualizing.

    You could install Ubuntu to that flash drive, install VirtualBox. Then use the ISO of the WindowsXP disk to install XP onto your hard disk. Make sure you follow this guide though because when you try to get into windows natively it will ask you to reactivate it because of the huge hardware change from VirtualBox to your regular hardware, specifically section 7.
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9697

    Section 7
    Switching between VirtualBox and native boots normally would result in Windows XP deciding that reactivation is required due to the sheer number of hardware changes (e.g. chipset, graphics, audio, hdd, NIC - see this article). I have found a remedy for this (which works with my hardware setup at least).
    Activate Windows natively
    Create a backup copy of %WINDIR%\system32\wpa.dbl after activation.
    Set the virtual network adapter's MAC address to that of your real network adapter.
    You can determine your MAC address(es) under Linux by running ifconfig.
    If you have multiple network cards in your computer you will have to try each in turn (see next step):
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php wrote:
    [...] It then calculates and records a number based on the first device of each type that was found during setup, [...]
    Boot Windows in VirtualBox
    If you set the correct MAC address Windows should not ask for reactivation. If it does:

    Shut down the guest.
    Temporarily mount the Windows partition and replace %WINDIR%\system32\wpa.dbl with your backup copy.
    Repeat step 2. using the MAC address of your next network adapter.
    I have found that this works for me too. If it doesn't follow section 1 under DMI
    Last edited by JustinR; June 15th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    8,874
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Quote Originally Posted by c0brabg View Post
    I know what's bios and what's a sata drive. I just want to delete the ubuntu and only have XP with a C and D drive if possible. I don't have a cd now and that is why I tried installing windows to a usb using Unetbootin (not exactly installing, more like converting) and when I booted it nothing happened.
    There was a thread about trying to load XP to a thumb in Ubuntu there was no real answer. But a burned cd will install and you can do a custom install and build the c, then d from XP after it is installed.

    There is also a partition manager called partition wizard that will build usable ntfs partitions I believe. Gparted wont work though from Ubuntu.

    http://www.partitionwizard.com/

    As I said earlier you can put XP into a virtual for now until you have a XP and Ubuntu cd. The Ubuntu is a backup fixer tool you should have to make life easier, cheap insurance so to speak. The virtual install only needs a ISO
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; June 15th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.





  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Beans
    24

    Re: Removing Ubuntu and installing Windows ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wilee-nilee View Post
    There was a thread about trying to load XP to a thumb in Ubuntu there was no real answer. But a burned cd will install and you can do a custom install and build the c, then d from XP after it is installed.

    There is also a partition manager called partition wizard that will build usable ntfs partitions I believe. Gparted wont work though from Ubuntu.

    http://www.partitionwizard.com/

    As I said earlier you can put XP into a virtual for now until you have a XP and Ubuntu cd. The Ubuntu is a backup fixer tool you should have to make life easier, cheap insurance so to speak. The virtual install only needs a ISO
    Well ok guess I am going to have to go and buy a CD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •