Thread: Title bar dissapear after restart, using no effects

Beans

Cool Title bar dissapear after restart, using no effects

Hi,

I just upgraded to Lucid Lynx, every time I restart my computer the title bar disappears and everything is displaced (icons and dialogs opening).

If I change Visual Effect from None (My normal setting) to Normal and back, the title bars shows normal, but this happens every time I restart and it's very hard to fix with 70% of the dialog hidden on top

Any way I can fix this permanently?

My video card:
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation

And I use 2 monitors.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Title bar dissapear after restart, using no effects

This might be happening because the theme you were using before you upgraded is no longer installed. Try choosing a different theme in your Appearance settings.

You should also try checking dmesg or the syslog for clues about why Metacity is failing to start.

Beans

Hi Ryan,

Which themes are safe? I'm now using "Clearlooks". I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Anything that's listed should be safe to use. If you're already using Clearlooks then it's probably not a theme issue.

So yeah, check dmesg and the syslog to see what's going on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hm, several things come to my mind:

a) compiz running, but window-decorations and desktop integration not "on" or

b) compiz running, but no window-decorator entered in its field:
    ccsm -> window decoration -> commando field: gtk-window-decorator

c) startup scripts that used to be usefull, now breaking things:
    system -> preferences -> startup programs (sry, running german version here)
    check those for some odd entries

d) hm, also checking the metacity settings (if not running compiz) in gconf-editor -> apps -> metacity might reveal something

just my 0.2 cents (yes, that few!)

Beans

Red face Re: Title bar dissapear after restart, using no effects

Hi guys thanks for your help,

@ryan I tried to check the dmsg can't see nothing special, no special warnings or errors (Don't really know what I am looking for to be honest) - Syslog ask me to install dsuslog of sysklogd

@rei. There's an 'auto rotate' screen application running on startup that I add following instructions on a forum to use with a tablet pc

Today after fixing by switching settings, i run >compiz, and the bars disappeared! and I got this message:

Code:
    WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap"  when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
    WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when  GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!

Today I also tried running the appearance preferences from terminal and got this messages when changing to None and Normal

Code:
    (gnome-appearance-properties:2533): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:2533): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(gnome-appearance-properties:2533): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_model_sort_real_unref_node: assertion `elt->ref_count > 0' failed
    There is no available graphics driver for your system which supports the composite extension, or the current one already supports it.

WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXCreatePixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
    WARNING: Application calling GLX 1.3 function "glXDestroyPixmap" when GLX 1.3 is not supported!  This is an application bug!
    Can this have anything to do with it?

Thanks

Beans

Smile Re: Title bar dissapear after restart, using no effects

Thanks guys, I finally found the solution!

The problem was:
    Window manager was not loading after upgrading to 10.4

The default windows manager is not compiz but metacity

Solution on this thread by Kochin
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...window+manager