Thread: What should i format My Backup Drive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What should i format My Backup Drive

Hello all. I Just got a Removable Hard drive! YAY!!! Now i need to format it because i need it to hold more then 4 GB file sizes. What format should i used. Ill only need compatibility with Other LINUX computers. So should i use NTFS, BTRFS, or EXT4? Thanks!

PS How would i take ownership of the backup drivers file system and not ROOTS permissions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What should i format My Backup Drive

Bump

Beans

I'd format as NTFS, as the permissions can screw up when you stick your data back onto a fresh install. You just have to remember to chmod the right files when they're copied back over.
    There's no place like ~/

Beans
    Hidden!

Sadly I don't know much about the different file systems but personally I would go for something very robust as it is a backup drive. I know NTFS support has matured a lot in Linux over that last years but if it was my files and there is no need to access them from Windows I would go with something like Ext3 maybe even with data=journal or something.

It depends on how important the data is and what is the worst thing that can happen to the drive. Fx. the power getting cut. Cutting the power could be bad if the data isn't written to the disk yet.

Here's some stuff about the mount option i mentioned.
    Last edited by TheForumTroll; June 14th, 2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added link
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: What should i format My Backup Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Ravernomina View Post
    Hello all. I Just got a Removable Hard drive! YAY!!! Now i need to format it because i need it to hold more then 4 GB file sizes. What format should i used. Ill only need compatibility with Other LINUX computers. So should i use NTFS, BTRFS, or EXT4? Thanks!

PS How would i take ownership of the backup drivers file system and not ROOTS permissions
    Going by what Wikiepedia says, I'd recommend you format it to Ext4.
    Large file system
    The ext4 filesystem can support volumes with sizes up to 1 exabyte and files with sizes up to 16 terabytes. The current e2fsprogs can only handle a filesystem of 16 TB, but support for larger drives is under development.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Personally I use ext3, bacause I use Clonezilla for backup, and it doesn't (as yet) support ext4. Just one thought.
    // Don
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Toshiba P755-S5390 / Core I7 / 8 gigs