Thread: Fn +F2 doesn't trigger LCD display on Serval Professional

Beans

Fn +F2 doesn't trigger LCD display on Serval Professional

Hey there,

I am so stoked about my Serval Professional! I got it yesterday and everything works fantastically except for one thing - the Fn + F2 key does not trigger the external monitor. I have tried DVI -> VGA and DVI -> DVI. DVI -> VGA doesn't show up on the external monitor. I researched this and found a post that indicated some monitors do not work this this type of adapter. So, I tried a DVI -> DVI, but nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings configure the alternate monitor with a very small resolution, not using Fn+F2 but by restarting the computer with the DVI -> DVI plugged in. I have used nvidia-settings before with great success on some older laptops so do have experience setting up monitors in Ubuntu. The Serval Pro hasn't been as easy as with previous laptops. Am I missing something? Did I screw something up? Let me know.

Some technical info:
    I have run the System 76 drivers. I am using version 173 of the NVIDIA driver.

*Operating System : Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) 64 Bit Linux
    *Display Resolution : 15.6" Full HD LED Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
    *Graphics : Nvidia GeForce GTX 285M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 Video Memory
    *Processor : Core i7-920XM Processor Extreme Edition ( 45nm, 8MB L3 Cache, 2.0GHz )
    *Memory : 8 GB - DDR3 1333 MHz - 2 DIMMs This upgrade option only available with Intel Core i7-720QM or Core i7-820QM CPU
    *Hard Drive : 640 GB 5400 RPM SATA II
    *Optical Drive : CD-RW / DVD-RW
    *Wireless : Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
    *Bluetooth : Bluetooth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Fn +F2 doesn't trigger LCD display on Serval Professional

I believe that Fn+F2 turns off the LCD Backlight. Fn+F7 should switch between built-in and external monitors.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have a serval pro running 11.04 and I can't seem to get Fn+F7 to switch between monitors. I have to open the nvidia X Server Settings and enable/disable the monitor there. Is there some setup that I need to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fn+F7 seems to have issues on recent versions of Ubuntu with Nvidia graphics. We're looking into the issue, but I suspect it has to do with the Nvidia driver.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!