Thread: Lobbying hardware suppliers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Wink Lobbying hardware suppliers

I've recently switched from Windows XP to 64 bit Ubuntu 10.4.

I have close to 4 decades experience in computing, more heavily weighted toward 70's and 80's mainframes, but ending in support for Windows servers and to a lesser extent, programmer's workstations.

I ain't really a web guy, but I configured, procured and supported a small network of Sun workstations, with a 490 server in the early 90's... so a little UNIX exposure in the mix.

My beef right now: cool hardware under Windows that loses its brains under Linux.

Cases in point:

High-end Logitech mice
    Configurable Logitech keyboards
    Dymo label printers

Problems:

Logitech's SetPoint software provided far better pointer acceleration than did Windows or than I can obtain under Ubuntu.

Although SetPoint was limited (i.e. it SHOULD have been more flexible), it provided far better configuration that has been available under Linux - I LIKE 8 mouse buttons and USE them!

Same true for their Illuminated keyboard.

Dymo has label design software where its primitive graphic images WORK - AND its software allows you to create and manage address books. And, it provides zip+4 'correction' for the addresses you enter.

Under Linux in one product? Zip. Even getting a Dymo to WORK is a chore.

O.K. my point:
    Why don't 'WE' get together to LOBBY vendors.

I've already been doing this with Dell, Logitech and Dymo.
    Tell me yours and I'll join in.

My point to each of them:
    Your INVESTMENT will reap far greater rewards!
    For a paltry investment in development, you will gain new customers and customer LOYALTY - which will translate to REVENUE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Lobbying hardware suppliers

Good idea! But how can all of us in a body can do that??

Beans
    Distro

This thread could be a starting point.

//it's not "all of us in a body", it's EACH of us// The Internet CAN be wonderful //

Provide:
    What the product you're concerned about does under Windows/Mac and what it cannot do under Linux.
    What vendor SOFTWARE runs on Windows/Mac that will not natively under Linux.
    Contact info for the vendor.

Remember SNAIL MAIL is said to be 100x as effective as email.

Then we should be lobbying legislators (and everyone we know) to the effect that OSS/Linux will save taxpayers billions of dollars (and it WILL, if implemented).

In this, the recession, especially if it CONTINUES, may be the best friend of OSS/Linux.
    I worked in the industry for 38 years from computer operator, to tech (database, sysadmin) and assembly language programmer. I've done systems configuration and procurement and I've watched managers and executives remain mired in the proprietary-only mindset and subsequently locking-in agencies to costly, flawed designs.
    Last edited by phubert28; June 12th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro

EU warns against proprietary software

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...tary_software/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Great thought, but until ALL Linux usage exceeds 2.5% on a consistant basis in ALL (but the MS centric) reporting sites, that is NOT going to happen. Letter writing campaign or not.
    The market has to justify the expenditure for the hardware makers to bring on code creators for the system. (that is if they want to keep their codes proprietary .. as most DO!)

There are nuts and bolts hardware makers (the type of hardware that MANY use .. not the specialized "gee that is cool" hardware) that have to sign on before you can get Avery or Logitech to even consider joining in.
    ESPECIALLY those chip makers for laptops. Laptops are the biggest issue there is, in general, for the advancement of the Linux system.
    Just spend some real time here on the forums and you will soon see that the majority of issues with just the general operations are on laptops.
    A desktop user can swap cards to a Linux friendly company to get things up and running, whereas, the laptop user is stuck with what got soldered to the board. Until THAT issue is finally acceptable to most users, the growth of Linux will be stifled.

So, the only way to get the base user figures up, is to concentrate on the desktop user (mostly the business user) .. since there are more of them than any other segment of computer user. Get that solid and stable and usable without a hassle, and the system will take off.
    Without that back bone of users, the growth of the system will continue to be slow, at best.

Beans
    Distro

oldsoundguy,

Just how much investment do you THINK would be required? Take just the ONE product, Logitech's SetPoint. The application, itself, is trivial. The same, however, is true of Dymo's software.

We're not talking about MS OFFICE or even WORD. The complexity is a fraction of the ONE application, alone.

I really can't see that the cost of ONE part-time programmer would NOT be returned swiftly. They could CONTRACT the job.

And, are you suggesting lobbying ISN'T worth the effort?

I'm not suggesting we expect miracles, I AM saying that we have to START and the more who join in the effort, the greater the impact.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by phubert28 View Post
    oldsoundguy,

Just how much investment do you THINK would be required? Take just the ONE product, Logitech's SetPoint. The application, itself, is trivial. The same, however, is true of Dymo's software.

We're not talking about MS OFFICE or even WORD. The complexity is a fraction of the ONE application, alone.

I really can't see that the cost of ONE part-time programmer would NOT be returned swiftly. They could CONTRACT the job.

And, are you suggesting lobbying ISN'T worth the effort?

I'm not suggesting we expect miracles, I AM saying that we have to START and the more who join in the effort, the greater the impact.
    Lobbying will not HURT, but I am afraid that most hardware makers will just shine it on. Not enough MARKET to justify the expenditure .... YET!!

Some makers have, at least, acknowledged the existence of Linux and Linux users. Wacom is one .. Turtle Beach (it has a Q&A forum for Linux users that they host on their site) .. Intel, (they were the first of the MAJORS to climb on board.) Then NVidia and now ATI (legacy support is lacking, but there IS support now). And I know I have missed some others and SOME of the chip makers. But, the process has been slow.

I have been using Linux since Mandrake 4, and have seen that it is like pulling teeth to get the hardware manufacturers to do ANYTHING that even smacks of support for Linux .. because of the fear of losing MS certification and support.
    The major makers can ignore that because MS will not shoot itself in the foot with them, but the little guy can NOT!

Then there is the battle between .deb and .rpm package management. That divides the Linux community right down the middle.
    Some software providers such as BOINC at UC Berkeley have chosen sides .. (UC weighing in for .deb) in creating their porting.
    You can bet that Adobe will weigh in in the not too distant future .. as the market is getting justifiable for them. (they held on to Apple when it dipped below 2.5% a few years back, and it has paid off for them to do so!)
    (and no .. the Adobe stuff will NOT be free, boys and girls!)
    Last edited by oldsoundguy; June 12th, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm no 'free' purist. I'm happy to pay the licensing fee for the software I choose to use... tho I'll always look for the best price!

And, since Logitech aims more at the consumer than the enterprise market, companies of THAT sort are MORE likely to respond to lobbying.

I like Adobe FONTS, but aside from the free Reader and Flash, don't USE any of their software.

Looks, tho, like Ubuntu will win the desktop wars. Everything else will become an also ran.
    Last edited by phubert28; June 13th, 2010 at 01:17 AM.

Beans

If you want to lobby DYMO, I work there as a software QA engineer.
    Feel free to comment over here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=60

Beans
    Hidden!

So old... closed.