Thread: How to tell if wireless N is being used?

Beans

How to tell if wireless N is being used?

Morning,
    Laptop- Toshiba Satellite A505D-S6958
    OS- Ubuntu 10.04, 32bit
    Wireless- Realtek rtl8192E 802.11bg+n

My question is:
    If my laptop is connected to a wireless network that supports "g and n", how can I tell if the laptop is making use of the faster "n" protocol and not just the "g"?
    I remember in Windows that I had to change the setting on the NIC specifically to use n...

Thanks,
    Tony ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How to tell if wireless N is being used?

iwconfig will tell you the bit rate. 54 Mbps is wireless G speeds, anything above that should be wireless N, but theoretically it should be around 300 Mbps. I've never gotten above 108 because my router sucks with mixed mode with other Wireless G speed devices on my network, therefore reducing a potential 130-150 Mbps realistic speeds to around 108 Mbps.

If there's any trouble, it's likely to do with the driver you're using.
    \ Lenovo Thinkpad T61p \ Dual Booting \ Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64-bit \ Windows 7 64-bit \

NVIDIA Quadro FX 570m modified to use NVIDIA GeForce 8600m GT drivers in Windows

Re: How to tell if wireless N is being used?

iwconfig will tell you the bit rate. 54 Mbps is wireless G speeds, anything above that should be wireless N, but theoretically it should be around 300 Mbps. I've never gotten above 108 because my router sucks with mixed mode with other Wireless G speed devices on my network, therefore reducing a potential 130-150 Mbps realistic speeds to around 108 Mbps.
    The router will run at the lowest speed, so if you have G devices, then it would run at the G speed. Once all of the devices on the network run N, then you should see the N speeds.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine