Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell : Ubuntu is safer than Microsoft® Windows®

Beans

Arrow Dell : Ubuntu is safer than Microsoft® Windows®

6) Ubuntu is safer than Microsoft® Windows®
    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...dhs&~ck=anavml

Beans

Re: Dell : Ubuntu is safer than Microsoft® Windows®

Open Office gets a big red "X" for windows? Wow, news to me, and to various people I know who use OO on win.

It would be nice if they had more than 2 models running ubuntu, a Mini 10n and an Inspiron 15n.

Beans

Beans

You'd think with this in mind they'd perhaps have a decent range of Ubuntu products wouldn't you?
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"Safer"?

I no longer worry about Virus', Worms, Trojans or Keyloggers.
    I do Not use any Anti-Virus Software.

When I update my Ubuntu, I do Not lose my Files, Documents, Photos, Graphic Files, Music or Videos. Just the O.S. Is changed.

About every 25 boots, a Automatic System Check is done but I never De-Frag.

My Wireless is ALWAYS Encrypted with WPA.

I have been using Ubuntu GNU/Linux for more than 5 years now and I will Never go back to Window$.

Safer? My answer is YES!
    The Truly Educated Never Graduate!
    One Desktop & Two Dell 1525n Laptops - Multi-boot Xubuntu 11.11 & others.
    Don't Fear the Penguin!
    Registered Linux User #507530 & Ubuntu User # 30733

Beans

to me it just looks like a publicity stunt to get linux fans to buy from dell..................... its not working for me. lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llawwehttam View Post
    to me it just looks like a publicity stunt to get linux fans to buy from dell..................... its not working for me. lol
    ++

False Marketing ploys do sell product, though. One cannot deny this.

Guess what? Malware designed for Linux systems that run a silly little rm -rf /* command don't work on Windows systems :O :O Scandal!
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans

So, what is Dell going to say about the computers they are selling with Windows ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh man... They don't even have a desktop option anymore?

Just a netbook and a laptop. That's it? Pathetic. There was at one time 6 different Ubuntu Dell systems.

(Though I guess the sort of people that would know to look for Ubuntu would just build their own tower...)

Edit:

Oh, there's a couple of links at the bottom for Vostro and Latitude. No pictures. Not very conspicuous.
    Last edited by aaaantoine; June 11th, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Hidden!

But the story doesn’t end there. Dell claims it has shipped more computers pre-loaded and pre-tested with Ubuntu than any other computer maker in the world since 2007. (Alas, Dell doesn’t disclose exact shipment figures for Ubuntu PCs.) And Dell states that it will introduce Ubuntu 10.04 systems in mid-2010.
    I call BS on that, if Ubuntu has been selling as well as they are claiming, then why have they been silently removing all their computers which run Ubuntu? The specs are never up to date and they don't even provide any real way of getting to them on their website (they never really did but you could find them before). On the Canada site, you only have the option of Linux if you are buying as a business.

So yeah, I call BS on them outselling companies that keep up to date specs and provide easy access to the option.
    Last edited by betrunkenaffe; June 11th, 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Fixed false statement
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast