Thread: I'd like to get involved with Ubuntu development. Need some advice! ;)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question I'd like to get involved with Ubuntu development. Need some advice! ;)

Well, first things first... I have a tendency to be a bit long winded but it's because I'm the type that has to be completely thorough with everything I do. I hope this doesn't turn anyone off of this thread, because I would really appreciate some advice/links/etc in return for my inquiries! Thanks for being understanding and working with me!

Alright, I'm really interested in helping out with the development process of Ubuntu but I have no idea where I should start. I created a Launchpad account and have a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 in VMWare (adding new/different versions would be a snap). I've been using Ubuntu since 2008 and have gotten fairly familiar with it over time.

I'm interested in security and have been for as long as I can remember. I'm always pentesting different server builds, OS's, and anything else I can get my hands on. So I may be able to help out in that department.

I would really like to get involved somewhere in the "release" process with helping fix bugs and release patches. Even if it's extremely low-level, tedious, time consuming and boring work. I want to get my hands dirty, I won't lie.

My experience that may prove helpful is as follows....

C/C++ - One year - Proficient with fundamentals and principles
    All MS Basic (Q/GW/VBasic) languages - 11 years - Mastered
    C# - 6 months - Beginner - Still learning the framework.
    HTML - 11 years - Mastered.
    XML - 4 years - Proficient
    CSS - 2 years - Proficient
    Linux - 2 years - Average - I'm no expert, but I can hold my own.
    Windows/MSDOS- 15 years - Mastered.

All BS aside, I've still got a lot of learning to do in all areas of IT work and I'm well aware of that. That's exactly why I'm here today. I love to learn and I'm always looking for a new challenge and I feel that helping out with an open source project of this magnitude will benefit me tremendously over the next few years. I'm really wanting to learn.

My biggest question is pretty simple... given the experience I have listed above, do you guys feel that there is a "place" for me in the development of Ubuntu? If not, in what areas should I study harder and better myself?

Keep in mind that I'm a complete "noob" when it comes to the development process of open source software. Everything I've ever written or worked on was done alone, so it'll likely take a few weeks for me to truly adjust.

So what do you guys think? Answers are greatly appreciated!

-John

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move/remove the thread if the need arises.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I'd like to get involved with Ubuntu development. Need some advice! ;)

Howdy, Im not involved with Ubuntu development, but you might get a quicker response on irc, checkout #ubuntu-devel on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Re: I'd like to get involved with Ubuntu development. Need some advice! ;)

you also might want to check out
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment
    for a bit of background and advice.
    Even if you didnt have any programming experience you could still file bugs, check bugs, triage bugs, etc. As you do have programming experience you can do all that and more!