Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Encryption Software?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Best Encryption Software?

I'm looking for a great encryption tool WITH a GUI and that can encrypt my entire hard drive, including /boot (so I have to input a password before Ubuntu even starts to load). TrueCrypt does this, but only in Windows. What is the strongest encryption software like this for Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Best Encryption Software?

You can do that using the alternate install CD. The only thing is it won't encrypt /boot since that needs to be accessible by Grub to boot. However, everything else is encrypted and you get prompted for a password when you boot up.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro

Doesn't that just encrypt the /home directory? And does the CD install the encryption software so I can manage it from within Ubuntu after I log in, but without the CD?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GrantStoner View Post
    Doesn't that just encrypt the /home directory?
    That is one of the options. There is another to set up full disk encryption.

And does the CD install the encryption software so I can manage it from within Ubuntu after I log in, but without the CD?
    Yes.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD

Beans
    Distro

Awesome, thanks this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, minus the /boot issue. This includes the swap space partitions too correct?

Beans
    Distro

Awesome, thanks this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, minus the /boot issue. This includes the swap space partitions too correct?
    Yes.

Beans
    Distro

With this CD will I have re-install Ubuntu as well? And by any chance, do you know if it uses on-the-fly-encryption?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With software encryption there is really no possible way to encrypt the /boot directory. You would need a drive with built-in hardware encryption (or something that uses a TPM) for that.

One thing you can do is put /boot on a flash drive and remove it from the machine whenever finished with it. This would be equivalent to having /boot encrypted (although I see little value in having /boot encrypted at all. Nothing of import is ever stored there. As long as /, swap and /home are encrypted you're golden).

With this CD will I have re-install Ubuntu as well?
    Yes.

And by any chance, do you know if it uses on-the-fly-encryption?
    On-the-fly encryption is only useful for instances where only certain directories are encrypted (as is often the case with Truecrypt containers). What LUKS does is encrypt the entire drive (minus /boot). Since the entire drive is encrypted, there is no need for "on-the-fly." Remember, in either case, encryption is only useful when the drive is not in use or when the "on-the-fly" container is not unlocked.
    Last edited by rookcifer; June 11th, 2010 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Alright thanks then, it looks like that is the route I'm going to take then.

Beans
    Distro

With this CD will I have re-install Ubuntu as well?
    Yes you will have to reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    With software encryption there is really no possible way to encrypt the /boot directory. You would need a drive with built-in hardware encryption (or something that uses a TPM) for that.
    There was some patches to Grub2 to give it support for booting a LUKS encrypted system that included /boot in the encrypted area. So it is possible.

And by any chance, do you know if it uses on-the-fly-encryption?
    Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    On-the-fly encryption is only useful for instances where only certain directories are encrypted (as is often the case with Truecrypt containers). What LUKS does is encrypt the entire drive (minus /boot). Since the entire drive is encrypted, there is no need for "on-the-fly." Remember, in either case, encryption is only useful when the drive is not in use or when the "on-the-fly" container is not unlocked.
    No, LUKS is a form of on-the-fly encryption.

is a method used by some encryption programs, for example, disk encryption software. "On-the-fly" refers to the fact that the files are accessible immediately after the key is provided, and the entire volume is typically mounted as if it were a physical drive, making the files just as accessible as any unencrypted ones.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-the-fly_encryption

Basically anything that presents the data to the end user transparently is on-the-fly. This would include things like TrueCrypt, Ecryptfs, and Encfs in addition to LUKS. GPG would be an example of the opposite of on-the-fly encryption.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast