Thread: Format hard disk (NTFS) and other questions

Beans

[SOLVED] Format hard disk (NTFS) and other questions

Nothing against ubuntu, I love it, but my little brother "wants games (like fusionfall.com)" lame. So I have windows7 disk, and when I got the install step, I couldn't select the partitions because they need to be NTFS or something.

How do I format this for windows 7?

Also, what does this do?

Code:
    sudo -s
    enter password
    fdisk -l
    (see /dev/sda or /dev/sdb)
    fdisk  /dev/sda(or b[if it exists])
    type 'c'
    type 'd' 
    then press 'w'
    Last edited by asciicat; June 11th, 2010 at 06:27 AM. Reason: solved it, thanks +rep or something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Format hard disk (NTFS) and other questions

if you want to dual boot between ubuntu and windows, you need to create separate partitions on your hard disk for each operating system. Windows7 needs two partitions and Ubuntu needs two as well. one for / and one for swap. you can add/delete/modify partitions from booting the Ubuntu LiveCD and going to System-> Administration-> Gparted Partition Editor

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nhasian View Post
    if you want to dual boot between ubuntu and windows, you need to create separate partitions on your hard disk for each operating system. Windows7 needs two partitions and Ubuntu needs two as well. one for / and one for swap. you can add/delete/modify partitions from booting the Ubuntu LiveCD and going to System-> Administration-> Gparted Partition Editor
    How much space should I allow for a swap?
    I have 60GB for regular, and 3GB leftover.
    [EDIT] I think I found it: http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ndows-7-a.html
    [EDIT2] Should I create it as Primary, Logical, or Extended Partition?
    [EDIT3] Made 2 as primary and one is 61GB other is 768MB
    Last edited by asciicat; June 10th, 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you can have up to four primary partitions. so if windows7 creates two primary partitions, then you can create one more for root, and then an extended partition where you can put your swap and home partitions.

swap partition should be equal to the amount of ram you have in your computer.