Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice Crashes

Beans

OpenOffice Crashes

Just installed 64-bit Ubuntu Lynx. Rebooted per directions. Checked for updates. Installed them all (151 of them).

Launched OO Writer. While checking out features, I clicked TOOLS > BIBLIOGRAPHICAL DATABASE.
    Wham! OO went down like it was shot through the head. I got an error message:

"Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org crashed. All the files you were working on will now be saved. The next time OpenOffice.org is launched, your files will be recovered automatically.

"The following files will be recovered: Untitled1"

OO does this repeatedly, every time I click TOOLS >BIBLIOGRAPHICAL DATABASE.

Am I doing something wrong?

Let me know, please!

Thanks for any help.

3-Ball

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: OpenOffice Crashes

First make sure that Base is installed (it is not by default with Ubuntu).
    Then check that in OOo menu Tools>Options>OOo>Java there is a version checked (wait a while so that it scans the system).
    If no change, try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

If still no luck, try the Sun version: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

I fixed it myself. What I finally did was to uninstall all OO components individually, power-down, power-up, and reinstall OO as a suite. The problem disappeared.

I don't know if my install CD is flawed or if the image I burned was flawed or what, but OO now works perfectly as far as I know at this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Base is not installed by default with Ubuntu, that's certainly why it couldn't work.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I reported it as a bug here some time ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/588306

No one seemed to look into it though.
    I consider it a bug because openoffice WILL crash when using a certain function on a default ubuntu installation. So either that function should be deleted from the default openoffice in ubuntu or the package needed should be installed be default. Anything else makes ubuntu look kind of bad, don't you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cool Re: OpenOffice Crashes

My openoffice.org 3.2 (build 9483) crashes after the program has been idle for a bit and I return to it to start typing. For instance, if i open a writer file and then go away to the kitchen for a snack and then return 10 or 15 minutes later and then switch back to OOO, it crashes when I press a key, mainly the ENTER key. I don't know what's causing this error. but it always crashes with the following error:

Due to an unexpected error, OpenOffice.org crashed. All the files you were working on will now be saved. The next time OpenOffice.org is launched, your files will be recovered automatically.
    Is anyone else experiencing this type of error with OpenOffice.org, if so, could you please respond and tell me how you fixed it? I need to fix this issue as soon as possible. Thanks in advance for any help...

Beans

Angry Re: OpenOffice Crashes

I'm having the same problem..... after a period of inactivity I return to either swriter or scalc and ooo crashes with the message as below. Doesn't autorestart and sometimes leaves soffice.bin running (so it won't restart even manually). Have Lucid 10.04 with all maintenance, and ooo 3.2.0.10 ooo320m12 build:9483 on eee pc netbook. Does anyone have any ideas - this is driving me nuts!

Beans

Try resseting your OpenOffice profile, this helped me.
    http://user.services.openoffice.org/...p=58401#p58401

Beans

Confirmation: Tools->Bibliography crash due to OpenOffice Base not being installed by default in Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avocadopicker View Post
    I'm having the same problem..... after a period of inactivity I return to either swriter or scalc and ooo crashes with the message as below...
    I came across this thread while googling the error message text. I too have the same problem: leave swriter or scalc idle and when you try to work with it again it crashes. Yesterday was the last straw, as it crashed a spreadsheet and was unable to recover my work--I had to start all over again. I have been resisting using CrossOver + MS Office suite, but on my machine they are rock stable compared to OpenOffice.

This is a fresh install of Ooo under a fresh install of 10.04, started completely from scratch (no transfer of existing profile or similar). Any solutions/advice would be great, I'm about ready to bail on this software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast