Thread: Upgrading KDE To SC4.5 Beta 2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Upgrading KDE To SC4.5 Beta 2

I have added the backport repo for updating to KDE SC4.5 Beta 2 on my 64 bit Lucid system. After updating and running sudo aptitude safe-upgrade, I'm still left with something like 163 packages being held back. Checking with Synaptic, the package holding all the updates back is libqt4-assistant, which Synaptic shows would have to be removed before the other packages can be updated.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is libqt4-assistant a necessary package, or could it safely be removed?

Regards,
    zenarcher
    MSI K9NGM4-V V2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+(4GB RAM)
    NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 256MB
    DellSP2009W

Beans

Re: Upgrading KDE To SC4.5 Beta 2

I think what's happening is that it wants to upgrade Qt4 to 4.7.0b1, but there is no libqt4-assistant of 4.7.0b1 packaged. So the other 4.7.0b1 libraries conflict with libqt4-assistant beneath its own version (or perhaps libqt4-assistant of /any/ version), and so it has to be removed.

Try doing a full-upgrade and see what solutions it offers. Likely it will want to remove libqt4-assistant and potentially other Qt4 packages of which there aren't any 4.7.0b1 packages.

I can't say why libqt4-assisatnt hasn't been packaged. Perhaps it has been superseded by other packages due to packaging scheme changes? Perhaps it didn't build? Or perhaps it's just not a priority.