Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random file copying script

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Random file copying script - broken in Karmic

Hi there,
    If anyone is still reading this thread, do you have any idea why it now doesn't work in Karmic (9.10)? The result I'm getting is that the script runs through and completes, but there's _nothing_ copied at all. I've not changed anything since I used it in Jaunty where it worked fine.

Mine is a "clean install" of Karmic in Ext4, but with the old "home" still on an Ext3 partition, and the music on a separate Ext2 partition. The breakage seems to effect only the "deep scanning folders" process, which should take several seconds (10 days worth of music!) but now happens in about 2 seconds.

I've tried to read the script, but can't see what may be wrong.
    Last edited by momist; November 7th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Momist. Follower of the minor Greek god Momer.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Random file copying script - broken in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by momist View Post
    I've tried to read the script, but can't see what may be wrong.
    Well . . . here's what I found out:
    The line that does the copying consists of
    Code:
    cp -i --noreply "${remSrcF[$random]}" "$tgtPath"
    In this, the "--noreply" was not coloured in my gedit box, as if it was not recognised. Reading the man entry for "cp" showed that -L will follow symlinks in the source directory - which might be part of the problem. So I changed the script to read:
    Code:
    cp -i -L "${remSrcF[$random]}" "$tgtPath"
    and now it works OK.

HTH someone!

Beans

Re: Random file copying script

@lapsey: Wanted you to know that your gift keeps on giving. Years later, I just stumbled upon it. It's great and does exactly what I need. Thank you.

@momist: Thank you for taking the time to track down and post the cp solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello ... sorry for the big up, but I'm wondering why the script doesn't work for me ???

I'm using Thunar so I just added the script in Edition > "Personalized Actions" (I don't know if it written like this, I have it in French ^^) and I can see the script when I right-click a folder. But nothing goes on when I select the script....

Any idea ?

Beans
    Distro

Hello bennyto,
    I'm not at all familiar with Thunar, as I have so far stayed on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, and the script still works OK for me there. I'm waiting for 12.04 LTS version before I upgrade, and suspect that the script will be broken again then.
    It may help others to find your problem if you say what version of Ubuntu you are currently running?

Edit: Sorry, I see it's 9.10 in your profile. I hope you find a solution.
    Last edited by momist; December 22nd, 2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry, I see it's 9.10 in your profile. I hope you find a solution.
    Hum actually due to account limitation I can't change this. I'm running CrunchBang Linux Stalter wich is also debian-based (Squeeze) (it used to be Ubuntu based but since its last version it is not the case anymore)

I hope someone has an idea about it, if no I'll ask on Crunbang's forum

cheers

Beans
    Distro

OK bennyto,

It's some time ago now, but I think the penny dropped for me when I tried running each line of the script (it's not very long) in a terminal. Or maybe that was some other one I was wrestling with.

Anyway, reading my original posts, I saw that one line in the code-aware text editor stood out in a different colour, because it was not recognised, maybe.

Beans

Sadly it doesn't work on 12.04 pangolin, I have no idea how to work well with scripts so cannot see why it stopped working - is this being worked on please?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopU View Post
    Sadly it doesn't work on 12.04 pangolin, [snip] - is this being worked on please?
    Hmm. I only installed precise pangolin yesterday, and I haven't tried that script yet. To be honest, I rarely use it now, as I don't have the need since I retired and get my music staight from the PC mostly. My Android phone can get my favourite music channel off t'internet when I'm out and about, so I use the Sansa even less.

I'll have a go in the next week, and report how I get on with it. I doubt the original author is likely to work on it.

Beans
    Distro

Well that was too easy. It simply still works OK for me - YMMV.

Just a note about usage. I'm very new to unity (I stayed with 10.04LTS until yesterday) and I'm still finding my way around. I can't say that I like it yet, but I'll not rush to judgement.

RandomFill works for me if I do this:-
    Insert a USB stick, or music player that looks like one. This should open nautilus showing the contents.
    If you want music in a folder (directory) on there, create the folder.
    If not, to fill the whole memory or write to the root, go up one level so that you can see the memory device as a folder.
    Point at the folder and right click, this should offer the script.
    Select the script, and it asks for the source directory.
    Navigate to the source, your store of music, and select that.
    It should now ask you "how much" in MB.

I hope that is clear, and not too patronising. I know the interface lacks any polish, and if one step is wrong there's no feedback, just that nothing happens.

Since it works for me, I don't think I can help any further, but please let me know how you get on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast