Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Run MAME + GMAMEUI latest on your pc. Quick guideWithout further ado – A qiuck

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Run MAME + GMAMEUI latest on your pc. Quick guideWithout further ado – A q

Im really no expert but if you look at the dropdown list on this page: http://sdlmame.wallyweek.org/download/
    that first set of downloads Common, tools, and mame that are 0.138u2 didnt work for me. but i tried the next group down, the plain ole' 0.138 and they worked perfectly. i installed the common first then the mame then the mame tools. Hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: HOWTO: Run MAME + GMAMEUI latest on your pc. Quick guideWithout further ado – A q

Oops, I forgot about that stuff. Here's what worked for me:

0) download all 3 items (mame-common 0.138u2, mame-tools 0.138u2, and mame_0.138u2, all for 64-bit Karmic in my case).

1) remove existing mame-common in Synaptic.

2) run "mame-common_0.138u2-0ubuntu1~ww1~karmic_all.deb". It will complain, saying you should stick with the older version from the software channel. That's not what we're doing here, so proceed with the installation anyway.

3) run "mame-tools_0.138u2-0ubuntu1~ww1~karmic_amd64.deb" (that's the 64-bit version - you may need the 32-bit version). Again, it will complain, saying you should stick with the older version from the software channel. That's not what we're doing here, so proceed with the installation anyway.

4) finally, run "mame_0.138u2-0ubuntu1~ww1~karmic_amd64.deb" (again, this is the 64-bit version - you may need the i386 version).

5) open GMAMEUI. It automagically detects & uses the updated MAME executable (now 0.138u2 instead of plain 0.138), since the new 0.138u2 mame has been installed in the same place as the old mame executable.

I was hoping that the new 0.138u2 build might make a few more games start working, but I haven't seen any drastic improvements so far.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    I was hoping that the new 0.138u2 build might make a few more games start working, but I haven't seen any drastic improvements so far.
    A newer version of MAME is more likely to break compatibility than improve it sadly. It depends on your rom set, as MAME roms update as often as the emulator itself. I still use version 0.130 with GMAMEUI, as I have a full 0.130 romset. If I "upgrade" to the latest version, then I can kiss goodbye to a massive swathe of my favourite games.

MAME can be a real pain in this way, whichever OS you run it on. I was very lucky to get a full set, and I have no intentions of moving from it yet.

Why do you have to install all those files? I just have sdlmame 0.130 64 bit, and I just install that then grab GMAMEUI from the repository. That's enough for me to run the emu without installing mame-common and mame-tools.
    Last edited by BigSilly; July 4th, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

MAME 0.138u2Tuesday, 29th June 2010

After a bit of trouble (including a server crash) it's time for the next unstable release. Grab it for Lucid, Karmic or Hardy.
    So, U2 stands for unstable, I went with stable when I installed it, and works great for me.
    Bout the older version - yes, more ROMS are correct, but is much harder to find the older versions than newer.... hence this tutorial...
    Last edited by deckoff; July 9th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Don't work for me. Crashed as soon as it played

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have used MAME before under Windows with no problems, I have decided to give it a try under Ubuntu to play one game. I downloaded "gmameui", and the mame common files, the program starts and seems to run fine. I downloaded the rom, set up the correct paths, audit games and the green check mark appears next to the game I want to play. I go to play it and it tells me the roms are not found and lists the roms.

I seem to remember upgrading MAME under Windows made a lot of the ROMS incompatible. Am I doing something wrong or is this a mame / rom compatibility issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Bump. (Should have waited until after the new year break)

Anyway, I made a slight improvement but it still says it can't find the ROMs. These are the legal roms from the MAME site. (I like TARG, I am strange) It acts like it is going to load, gets to the percentage screen, waits a second or two and then drops out.
    Attached are the after audit verify and then the error saying it can't find the roms.

Is it a permission issue? Do I not have the correct unzip file?

Thanks

EDIT:
    I fixed the missing rom problem when it audits the roms correctly. Goto to the "/etc/mame" directory, sudo edit the mame.ini file to include your rom directory. The GMameUI directory options also need to be adjusted as well as the mame.ini file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SoFl W; January 5th, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Solved problem

Beans
    Distro

I tried to install mame 0.141 and, as mame 0.140, when I launch a game and put in fullscreen, the ram is completely filled by mame task (1.5 GB).
    Did somebody of you experienced the same?

Thanks for your help
    Gianluca
    Be free! Use your mind!

Beans
    Distro

I discovered that this memory leak is linked to overlay effects. If I put none on effect in mame.ini, memory stay max 200 MB

Any siggestion?

Gianluca
    Be free! Use your mind!

Beans

Hi there!

Please, is there an option how to implement or add kaillera client to mame emu? (I own Ubuntu 11:04)
    I´ll be so glad for some responses!

Thanks guys!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast