Without further ado – A qiuck guide for newbies how to get MAME up and running on your Lucid Ubuntu up and running
- get latest mame from here: http://sdlmame.wallyweek.org/download/. Choose first mame-common which is suitable for your Ubuntu ( Lucid in our case) and let synaptic package manager install it. Be sure to go with COMMON FIRST.OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET AN ERROR. Then go and install mame and mame tools the same way. I choose sdlmame( now officialy merged with mame) cos this project is alive and updated. You will find XMAME proposed as a choice more often, but this project is dead now.
- Now we have to put GUI for your convinience This is the so-called frontend. I like best GMAMEUI. Still supported and with nice GNOME interface. Run your software manager, cearch for GMAMEUI, and install it. The shortcut will appear in Programs – Games. Well,run it. GMAMEUI will ask you where your mame app is. It is located in /usr/games. And is called mame(surprised?) Set a folder you wish for your roms folder. Be sure to remember what you've chosen
- Some settings that can DRAMATICALLY improve your performance. Go with Options – Default Options. In video be sure that for Video mode OpenGL is selected.
- Next, deselect filter in OpenGL :
- AND, FINALLY CHECK PERFORMANCE. MAKE SURE AUTOMATIC FRAMESKIP IS SELECTED.( This setting changes performance dramatically for me. Games can change from barely playble to perfect performance with this setting, at least for me
- That's petty much all. Go and use your ROMS now, put them in your roms folder, then : File – Audit All Games , wait for a while, and double click your rom and play it
TAB when game started will bring a menu, which will let you change lots of setings, game controls most notable.
F11 will show performance. Percents shown better be around 100%. Lower percents shown mean worse performance.
My PC is IBM Thinkpad x40. It is old enough, and I get nece playing experince – better than MAME run under XP. These setting work fine for me. If they dont work for you, fiddle with default options.
Hope I helped.Now lets play Pacman