Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Wired ethernet not getting detected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wired ethernet not getting detected

jopeto: hmmm, strange. Please let me know what the network guys say, and if you're able to connect using ethernet in a different location.

Beans

@ pytheas22 perhaps you could help me too. I have the same problem with the same results from all commands until #3 where on inputting

cat /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf

mine has no-auto-default=00:26:b9:e7:e0:57 (my physical address obviously)

any helpful hints??

Beans
    Distro

Scuzzbuntu: were things also working fine for you, but then stopped for some reason? Does spoofing a MAC address make any difference? And just to confirm that you have the same exact hardware, your "lspci -nn" output includes this exact line:
    Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:167a] (rev 02)
    correct?

If all of the above is true, then I would assume this is a hardware (and/or driver)-specific problem, though that still doesn't explain why the connection apparently worked fine at one point, but then stopped, and still fails under an older live CD.

If this is indeed a hardware/driver problem, then it might help to try driving the card with ndiswrapper instead of the native Linux driver. You'd need to blacklist the tg3 module, which is the native Linux driver for your ethernet card, and then install ndiswrapper and load Windows drivers for your ethernet device into it. You should be able to find instructions to do all this elsewhere on the Internet, but let me know if you're unable.

Also note that you'll probably find ndiswrapper discussed in most contexts involving wireless cards, but it should work for ethernet devices just as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike909 View Post
    -----Wired------:
    1. Download official Atheros driver, from their website: http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx (file: AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.9.tar.gz)
    2. tar -xvf AR*
    3. make
    4. sudo make install
    5. restart
    I had a similar problem with a new Acer Aspire One D255. Atheros ethernet adapter was not recognized. When I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10, it was fixed. Thanks, Ubuntu team!

Beans

Dear pytheas22,

Thanks a lot for all your help. Sorry I didn't get back to you but I was away for some time due to an illness. Hope it didn't come off as rude.

I spent quite a bit of time on my computer - the network guys said that on their side they don't see any blocks or anything else that might prevent me from connecting. Then I took my computer home and the strangest thing was that I was able to connect to the internet from home. Everything just worked automatically. I was really puzzled and finally decided that it would take less time if I reinstall everything as opposed to try and find out a solution. So I did a backup, wiped up my harddrive and reinstalled the 32 bit version of Ubuntu 10.4 LTS. Now it's working fine and I even have the feeling that it might be a bit faster than the 64 bit version.

Anyway, I'm all set now, although I didn't really understand what was the problem. Thanks a lot once again for all your prompt and thorough help!

Beans
    Distro

jopeto: no worries at all, but thanks for letting me know how you made out. Sometimes it just makes more sense to deploy the wipe-it-all-out-and-start-from-scratch approach. In any case, I'm glad you got it working and if you run into any more trouble, let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi pytheas22.
    i followed your suggestion that you gave to rbisawa. it put my new dell n4030 on the wired network. you are great. keep going.

Beans
    Distro

hi pytheas22.
    i followed your suggestion that you gave to rbisawa. it put my new dell n4030 on the wired network. you are great. keep going.

Beans
    Distro

hi pytheas22.

Beans
    Distro

hi pytheas22.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast